No Ifs, Ands, or But-ers

The Harper house was filled with the quads' friends. For once, more than just y/n. Dawn and Mae were reading a magazine together, Dicky, y/n and another friend were playing video games on the TV, and Ricky was practicing his vocabulary.

""Persnickety". Definition: fussy or particular." He said, and the girl that was sitting in front of him nodded.

"Correct." She said, and Ricky jumped off his chair.

"Boom! Definition: nailed it!"

"Never mind persnickety. Let's get persnackety!" Nicky said and laughed at his own pun, as he walked out of the kitchen, holding a plate with cheese, "I've got some nice aged cheese, including a Danish blue. Don't be afraid of the veins. It's very approachable." He continued as he walked past the gamers and stopped at Mae and Dawn.

Mae bent over and sniffed the cheese. She immediately looked disgusted, and so did Dawn. She didn't have to bend over to smell the cheese.

"Eww." They said, and Nicky frowned.

"The only cheese I approach is nacho." Mae said, and Dawn laughed.

"Don't feel bad, Nicky. It's nacho fault." Dawn made a pun and made her brother laugh. He put the plate down on the coffee table.

"Cheese me, bro." Dicky said, looking up at the TV screen. He didn't want to lose, so he had to keep his eyes on the game.

Nicky took a block of cheese and put it in Dicky's mouth. He tasted it and immediately gagged, spitting it out.

"This is so not approachable." He said, with a disgusted look on his face.

"Boom! I win! Take that, cheese-hater." Y/n said and cheered for herself. She then bent over to Nicky's plate of cheese and took a piece. Nicky's eyes widened.

"I don't think you'll-" He wanted to say, but y/n already put it in her mouth. She took in the taste and slowly nodded. She then swallowed it and smiled at Nicky.

"Hmm. . . That was a good Danish blue. Thanks, Nicky." She said.

Nicky smiled and looked at the ground, hoping y/n wouldn't see the blush on his face.

Tom and Anne had also entered the room and were talking about how great it was to have their house as a hang-out for their kids. That was until Anne got a message on her phone. She gasped.

"Everybody out. Scoot. Scoot. Leave. Andale." She said, rushing past everyone, taking away Dicky, y/n, and their friend's controllers. "Go, go, go, go, go, go, go! Let's go." She opened the door and let everybody out. "Bye. Thank you for coming."

That left only the quads and y/n in the living room.

"Don't leave. . ." Dawn said who had walked over to the door, trying to get everyone to stay. When Anne turned around and saw her own kids and y/n still standing in the living room, she frowned.

"Hey, no, you too. Beat it. Scram." She said.

"What?"

"I need the living room."

"Mom, what the heck?" Dawn asked.

"I was just accepted into the most exclusive book club in Boulderly Hills." Anne explained. Dicky frowned and stepped forward.

"What's a "book club"?" He asked.

"Oh, it's when a group of people read the same book, and then they get together and discuss it." Anne explained.

"Why?" Dicky asked, still confused.

"Because they like to talk about books." Anne replied.

"Why?" Dicky asked again.