𝘼 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙜 𝙢𝙖𝙣 𝙗𝙪𝙞𝙡𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙛𝙖𝙡𝙡

Based just before httyd 3

Enjoy <3

Hiccup had suffered from anxiety and depression for as long as he could remeber. It probably had something to do with the incredible amount of trauma he had suffered and constantly being told he wasn't good enough. Or ya know, something along those lines.

Of course it was part of Viking nature to go through shit. But from an early age, all of the attention was on Hiccup. Because he was the son of Stoick the Vast. Except he wasn't 'vast' or big or anything like his father. He was the village disappointment.

So not only was his father disappointed in him constantly, but so was almost every single other Viking.

Almost.

Hiccup and Astrid had been together for their fair share of time now. They were 21.

They had gotten to know each other pretty well over the last few years. Astrid had become pretty good at ready her boyfriends body language. As well as picking up on things that most people wouldn't notice.

Things like tapping his finger on the desk or his head, that slightly panicked,  frustrated, and impatient look he gets in his eyes when he is being told bad news. The news usually results in people blaming him. During those conversations he usually try's to say something and the second he stutters or stammers over a word the other person uses that as a chance to bring the focus back on themselves.

Those are things she had picked up from his anxious behavior. She usually noticed it and removed the source of his anxiety subtly. Like saying she needed to talk to him to get him out of a conversation. And then just letting him vent or telling him good news.

The behavior that she couldn't pull him out of was his depressive tendencies.

He usually got frustrated with himself during 'episodes' as his father put it. He would loose motivation pretty fast. That was a pretty big signal that he wasn't doing so good. But he'd never admit that he does any of this to anyone.

Astrid, Valka and Hiccup sat down one night and had a long talk about Hiccup. Mainly his mental state. And they figured out a plan. That conversation had ended with grateful tears from Hiccup that they were willing to work with him.

They didn't tell the village any of this. There was no need to. The village had no reason to know when he was having a mental breakdown or a panic attack.

Yesterday Astrid had noticed a change in Hiccups behavior. And not a good one.

He was getting frustrated with everyone, mainly himself, but also a lot of other people too.

"No Sven! I'm sorry but I don't have time to gather your sheep for you!" Hiccup yelled for the fourth time that hour. When Hiccup doubted himself, he said sorry. A lot.

Astrid was on her way to the forge when she saw her boyfriend talking to Gobber. He seemed angry, not at Gobber or himself. Just angry.

She walked up to him, careful not to startle him, and took his hand in hers. "Hey babe." She greeted.

He smiled at her. She recognized that smile. Gobber wasn't quite as good at ready people.

"Gobber could I borrow Hiccup for a bit please?"

"Sure lass!" Gobber agreed going back to his work, completely oblivious to everything going on around him.

Astrid and Hiccup left the forge. Astrid could see that there was a lot going on in Hiccups head, but that he was trying not to think of any of it.