Chapter 6

Xiaomei finished cracking all the walnuts and started roasting the walnuts before LiMei arrived. Xiaomei had wrapped the walnuts in a piece of cloth into a bag.

Soon, a knock on the door arrived, and a tiny whisper came through, "Miss?"
"Come in," Xiaomei answered and entered LiMei and a guard.
"How can I help you, your highness?" the guard bowed.
"Are you willing to help me?" I will give you money in exchange?" Xiaomei asks, putting out some money. The guard stares at the money. "I just need you to help me sneak out the palace for a while and keep guard...," Xiaomei added. "If that's not enough, then I will give you more," Xiaomei said.
The guard hesitated and thought for a minute before making his decision. "For one day," he said.
Xiaomei replied, "Yes, but you must keep your mouth shut and don't tell no one even if it means your life." She looked at him dead seriously. "Here," she said, handing him the money.
"I'll take you out tomorrow morning early since it will be safer as there will be fewer people out," he said. Xiaomei just nodded in response, and the guard was on his way.

"Miss, can we trust him?" LiMei asked.
Xiaomei replied, "we will just see....," as she was not sure as well, but he did help LiMei and didn't report it. They just have to wait and see. She truly hopes he will help her to survive this story.
"Miss, you should take a break and not think too much," LiMei said, trying to help her not think too much. "Do you want to sit outside?" she added.
"Sure," Xiaomei said, also wanting to relieve her thoughts.

The sun rose for a new day, and Xiaomei was up. "LiMei, are you ready?" Xiaomei asks, tying a face mask to her face as it covers her nose and mouth.
"Miss, I apologize for waking up late," LiMei finished getting ready.
"It's okay, LiMei. Take your time," Xiaomei said, as she finished tying the ribbon behind her head.

A short, quiet knock echoes through the room, and both Xiaomei and LiMei turn their heads before LiMei opens the door to find the guard quietly standing by the door, ready. "Are you ready to go, miss?" the guard said. Xiaomei nodded.

The guard led them out secretly as there was no one. "Okay, I'll stand here to guard. You should be back an hour before more people will notice you," the guard said, waiting by the gate. Xiaomei nodded her head and continued their way as LiMei followed.

Soon enough, they arrived at the village, and Xiaomei quickly went down her list of things she needed. Because she was here early in the morning, she had the first pick on most things as there were barely any people out, and vendors had finished setting up their stalls.
Xiaomei bought all sorts of things such as paper, ink, thin cloth, flour, sugar, rice, pan, lid, short hoe, peanuts, oil, salt, sweet potatoes, dry soybeans, small pumpkins, and a firepit stand.
"Miss, you bought a lot of things," LiMei said, helping carry stuff. Xiaomei smiled at LiMei's statement and continued. She also bought a couple of seeds like cilantro and onion before she walked over to a person who built things.
"Excuse me," Xiaomei said as the owner stopped what he was doing and wiped his dirty hands clean before walking over to her.
"Can I help you, Miss?" he said.
"I want to ask if you can make me a mini stone grinder," she said as she pulled out a piece of paper from her bag and sketched out how she wanted it to look. The owner scratched his head while looking at her sketch, "umm, I can try making it, but it will take me a couple of days. Maybe a week and a half," he said.
"That will be fine," she said and paid in advance.
"Okay, LiMei, we can head back," Xiaomei said.
"Let's hurry, Miss, before we get in trouble," LiMei said, worried. Xiaomei nodded her head and thought that they would be fine since no one in the story really paid attention to her when she was in the cold palace, not until she tried to kill the main girl. Hopefully, that guard is trustworthy. They made their way back without anybody noticing them. On their way back, Xiaomei noticed a farmer tending their garden.
"Sorry, Granny, but can I buy two of your plants?" Xiaomei said. The old lady simply agreed and asked which ones.
"Miss, why do we need those?" LiMei asks, almost stopping her.
Xiaomei said, "to eat," and continued, "I'd like to take one of your tomato and red pepper plants."
The old lady dug both plants out and wrapped them in a cloth to be easy to carry. "Thank you," Xiaomei handed some money.
"Oh, Miss, you gave me too much," she said.
Xiaomei smiled and said, "You put a lot of work into your plants."
"Thank you, miss," said the old lady. Xiaomei nods her head, and she and LiMei continue their way.
Once they arrived back at the gate, the guard was still there patiently, waiting for them. Xiaomei pulls out a bag of steam buns they bought and tosses it to him.
"Thank you. I'll give you another round of money if you do this again in a few days," Xiaomei asked.
The guard stood there in silence before reluctantly agreeing. He didn't know why he was helping, but for some odd reason, he couldn't help to agree. Maybe it's her eyes that draw him...