Chapter 31

It didn't take long before they arrived back at the residence. Everyone was worried and cared about Baozhai since she was unconscious.

"What happened? How did this happen!" they shouted at Xiaomei. "She was attacked. Someone tried to shoot her with arrows," Xiaomei said calmly without showing the agonizing pain on her face as she hid her wound with her hand, but it didn't matter since they didn't even notice in the first place.

"What nonsense are you sprouting," LiJie said coldly. Before Xiaomei could defend herself, some of the people who helped bring Baozhai testified for her. Immediately it shut LiJie and the rest up.

It didn't take long for Zhou Haitou to show up and act like he knew nothing. "What happened," he said, trying to be concerned. They immediately explained the situation to him. "Alright, call the physician, and I will go investigate," he said, displaying a great leader. Xiaomei remained quiet since she knew who was the culprit but couldn't say anything to affect the plot, so she showed an innocent bystander and watched the uncle leave.

LiJie, Chuhua, Bojing, and the physician, including Xiaomei, were in Baozhai's room. Baozhai was on the bed, still unconscious.

"How is she?" LiJie asked. The physician checked her pulse and finished examining her with his eyes before getting up from the bed.

"She is fine. She just fainted from hitting her head. She will wake up soon," the physician replied. Everyone gathered by the bed while Xiaomei was by the door, holding the side of her stomach so she didn't bleed out. She was sweating in pain, and her face was turning pale. Xiaomei was waiting for the right moment to get the physician alone.

"Thank you," LiJie said to the physician.

"Alright, it's best to leave her alone to rest," the physician said, heading to leave. They all nodded their heads.

"Let me walk the physician out," Xiaomei forced out, but the people in the room didn't seem to be bothered by her as their focus was Baozhai.

Once Xiaomei and the physician were out of the door, she did a quiet groan and said, "Can you please help me." She was slightly bent down, enduring the pain. The physician immediately saw the blood on her hand. His eyes were shocked to see her enduring this kind of pain. They quickly hurried to her room.

The physician finished helping her. He then gave her some medicine for her to drink. She thanked him and told him not to say a word about this. Since she knew it was pointless to tell anyone about this as they would think she was trying to get their attention. She wasn't the main girl or anyone important in the story for anyone to care about, and she was supposed to be dead. It was best left unsaid.

A couple of hours passed, and night had arrived. They finally realized that Xiaomei wasn't with them.

"Wasn't Huang Daiyu here?" LiJie said, looking around the room. Bojing also looked around.

"I thought so," Chuhua said, looking around. "When did she leave?" she added.

"Whatever. Who cares," LiJie said, sitting on the bed beside Baozhai. He touched Baozhai's hand before she shouted, "Huang Daiyu!"

In Baozhai's mind, she was worried about Xiaomei, but in their head, they thought Baozhai was pleading for help. They immediately felt anger and hurried out.

They knew how evil-hearted Daiyu was, so they knew she did something to Baozhai and made it look like she was innocent.

Xiaomei was in her room, resting with her entire face pale. Her peace and quiet didn't last long as there were loud banging noises at her door. She forced herself to open it. Once she opened it, she saw all three of them standing there, looking at her with cold anger. Instead of noticing Xiaomei's condition, they barged into her room.

"What did you do to Baozhai!" LiJie said, angry.

"What are you guys talking about," Xiaomei stuttered in pain.

"We know you did something," Chuhua said. Xiaomei looked at Bojing to see that he was also agreeing with them and waiting for an answer.

"I told you. Someone was trying to shoot her with an arrow," Xiaomei said again. "You guys better hurry back and watch Zhou Baozhai before the person comes after her again," Xiaomei said, thinking she didn't want to get hurt for nothing.

"Are you sure it wasn't you who harmed Baozhai," LiJie said coldly.

Xiaomei snapped as she was in pain right now and wanted to rest, but she had listened to them interrogate her. "If I wanted to harm her, then why did I waste my time saving her and bringing her back when I could have just left her there to die," she said, annoyed with her voice turning into ice, making them all shut up. "You all better leave so you guys can make sure she is safe." Xiaomei pushed them out and shut the door in their faces. They all were stunned by what happened before awkwardly leaving to watch Baozhai.

Xiaomei breathed out heavily, enduring the pain and slowly walking back to the bed. Once she was close to the bed, she felt a gust of wind behind her. She turned her head before a hand grabbed her neck. She started to gasp for air as the man was choking her. She saw the man was wearing all black clothes and a face mask. She knew it was the uncle, who else would it be? She tried to free her neck, but he strengthened his hands around her neck.

"W-why waste your time killing me... when I-I am not the one you want to kill...," she forced out of her tight throat, trying to find any excuse to save her life.