Chapter10

The sun was bright and shining, while Xiaomei was washing a cup of rice by the well before heading back to the house to pour clean water into the pot. She uses her finger to measure the water. She placed the pot on the fire pit stand and covered it with the lid. She opened the lid after 10 minutes and stirred the rice, and checked if the rice was ready. She re-closed the pot and cooked the rice for another 5 minutes. She scooped out the cooked rice into bowls and then placed the pot back on the fire as she sprinkled some water in the pot before closing the lid. She left the pot on the fire for a minute before scraping out the crispy rice and then soaking the pot. She grabbed the other pot and filled the pot with water and set it on the fire. She waited for the water to boil before cracking the eggs open into the water. She occasionally stirred, so the eggs didn't stick to the bottom, and added salt.

"Okay, LiMei, food is ready," Xiaomei said and poured food into the bowl.

"Finally," said Bao, who popped up from laying on a rock.

"Why are you here again?" Xiaomei said, setting the food on the table.

Bao smiled, showing his kiddish smile, and said, "for the food."

"Who invited you," LiMei snarky.

"I invited myself," he said and sat down as his eyes drooled over the food.

"Aren't you going to be late for your duty or get yelled at?" Xiaomei said, sitting down and ladling out the egg soup for everyone.

He shrugged and said, "don't worry about it. I am just a low-rank guard who people don't even notice and won't know I'm gone. There's so many of us, how can they tell?" Xiaomei shook her head before sipping the soup.

Bao was the first one to finish, and he did a sneak peek at LiMei's bowl before he quickly scoops out the last egg in LiMei's bowl and shoves it in his mouth.

"Bao! You!" LiMei shouted.

"I got to go!" He said with his mouth full and ran off before LiMei could chase him.

Xiaomei chuckled, watching them, and placed an egg in LiMei's bowl. She watches Bao disappear as LiMei yells at the doorway. Ever since they went on their last trip to the village, Bao recently came over to visit them, and soon they all became close as Xiaomei realized how Bao is such a kid. Xiaomei smiled and said," LiMei, you can have mine."

"No, Miss, I couldn't," she replied and sat down.

"Don't worry, I'm full," Xiaomei said. LiMei looked at her bowl, and her eyes stared at the egg wanting to eat it. "LiMei, just eat it. I'm full. Don't worry," Xiaomei said again and stood up and grabbed the empty bowls.

"But Miss...," LiMei tried to say.

"LiMei, it's fine. I'm going to wash dishes and then water the plants," Xiaomei said, heading out.

After finishing the dishes, she fills up the bucket of water and uses a bowl to water the tomato and pepper plants. Her pepper started to turn red, and the tomatoes had formed. She then started sprinkling water on the onion and cilantro. As she was watering, a brown fuzzball leaped over to her.

"You are early today," Xiaomei stopped watering and headed back to grab some nuts for the chipmunk.

Afterward, both Xiaomei and LiMei did nothing throughout the day until Xiaomei wanted to snack on something. Xiaomei grabbed one small pumpkin and one sweet potato. LiMei peeled the pumpkin, and she peeled the sweet potato. She cut the sweet potato in a circular shape before setting them aside. She then scoops one cup of flour and adds some salt to the flour. She then pours water into the flour mixture and mixes it until the batter is well combined. She placed the pan on the fire pit stand and poured oil into the pan. Once LiMei was finished peeling and cutting, the oil was ready. Xiaomei started battering the pumpkin and sweet potato and placing them in the oil. She flipped over as it was getting golden brown and waited for the other side before taking them out.

Xiaomei and LiMei ate their mini deep fry snack as they were sky gazing. "LiMei doesn't that look like a frog," Xiaomei pointed out while she was laying a big rock.

"Oh, I see it!" LiMei said as Xiaomei was nibbling on a sweet potato. "Oh, look at that. It looks like a tiger," LiMei said.

"Yeah, like it's chasing that rabbit," Xiaomei said.

"Oh my...," LiMei gasps and covers her eyes. "How can I unsee it!" She said frantically. Xiaomei chuckled and said "just imagine it as a cat chasing a ball or don't look at it. Look over there, it's a turtle." She peaks through her hands. Xiaomei continued to smile at LiMei.

Night finally arrived as Xiaomei cooked them omelet and rice before they went to bed. However, before Xiaomei went to bed, she soaked some dried soybeans in water.