Chapter 60

Those two took a walk around the market. They casually check certain stalls here and there. It didn't take long before Xiaomei remembered that she almost finished the novel she was reading.

"I have to stop at the bookshop. I'm almost done with my book," she said, making her way to the shop. ZhangWei didn't mind and followed her.

Once they were getting close to the shop, something caught ZhangWei's eyes. "You go first. I have to get something first," he said. She immediately stopped and said, "I...can wait."

He smiled before saying, "Don't worry. You go on ahead. It won't take long. I will be right behind you."

Xiaomei hesitantly walked forward before looking back. He couldn't help but smile as he watched her looking back at him. Once she stopped looking back, he walked towards a stall. He leaned over and picked up a jade waist pendant.

"Leader Wang, is there anything you like?" the owner said. "Do you have any jade pendant that has a carving of a cat or an uncarved jade pendant?" ZhangWei said as his fox jade pendant hung on his waist belt.

_______

Xiaomei entered the bookshop. She scanned around and looked at any books that intrigued her. She opened out a book that had a blue cover. Before she could skim through it, a man appeared in front of her.

"Lady Daiyu, correct?" the man said, looking at her with bright eyes. Xiaomei looked at the young scholar. He was wearing a simple white robe, and his hair was nicely combed down. He had a yellow scroll in his hand.

"Ah, yes? And who may you be?" Xiaomei asked cautiously.

"Sorry, to startle you. I don't think you remember me as I am a small bookkeeper in this little sect, but you came here last time to buy one of my books. I was extremely pleased that someone like you was interested in novels," the man said as he was trying to say it calmly, but Xiaomei could see the tip of his ears turning red. However, Xiaomei thought nothing of it.

"Ah, I remember now. You are the bookkeeper who shows me the book I am reading," Xiaomei said as her defense disappeared and her face brightened.

"Ah, yes," the bookkeeper said, relieved.

"I'm almost finished reading the book, so here I am getting another one," she said with a smile.

"Oh, how do you like that book so far?" The man asked with great curiosity.

"I felt it was a great love story. So far, I'm reaching the end where it's become a heart-wrenching tragedy between the two lovers. It makes one so heartbroken as if one had experienced it. The author is great at describing the emotions through written words and making it so life-like," she said.

"I agree with you. The author has a way of bringing out the emotion within you." The bookkeeper smiled in delight. Immediately, Xiaomei and the young scholar started talking about all types of books as they had a common connection. It was as if they were two friends.

"So do you have any recommendations on the next book I should read," Xiaomei said.

"Ah, I have the perfect one," the bookkeeper said and started looking for the book. "Here, this one. I think you will like it," he said.

"Thank you. How much?" Xiaomei said, accepting the book.

"Since you like books so much like me. I'll give you half the price," he said with a bright smile.

As she was about to hand him the money, she asked, "I forgot to ask you, what is your name, kind sir?"

"The name is Yan Jianyu," he said. She stopped for a moment before looking closer to the man's face.

"Yan Jianyu?" she said. The bookkeeper was about to nod his head, but a man who had been watching for a while now stepped in between them.

"Jianyu," ZhangWei said in a low voice as if it covered the atmosphere. Xiaomei immediately felt chills down her back.