Chapter 64

LiJie and Baozhai had made it to the capital and reported to the Emperor. They arrived at the palace on the second night since it was a long and tedious path.

While Bojing and Chuhua had caught up to the group of men before they could reach the sect. Bojing was lucky enough to use his authority to control the men to retreat back to the capital without any questions.

Meanwhile, ZhangWei and Xiaomei spent their time in each other presence. Wherever they went, they were both there together.

______

The third day arrived since LiJie, Baozhai, Bojing, and Chuhua had left the sect. ZhangWei was in his study, doing his work since he could no longer push it, while Xiaomei was comfortably sitting on the couch in his study with her legs curved into a C position as she leaned on one side against the armrest, reading her novel to accompany him. It felt like they were an old married couple who had been together for so long that they enjoyed each other company.

He would occasionally glance up to see her completely relaxed and enjoying her book. He lightly smiled at her before saying, "Look at you, enjoying your book and having the time of your life." However, she didn't seem to hear him, and he could see how engrossed she was in her book and didn't seem to mind him. He slightly grew jealous of the book. He set his brush down and got up. He walked toward her, and she didn't even notice him coming up to her. He lay on the couch before placing his head on her lap.

"Hmm?" She finally noticed his presence and looked at him before shifting into a better sitting position with both feet on the ground.

"So you are the one who is leaving me to be alone," he teased, grabbing one of her hands and kissing the palm and back of her hand.

Her eyebrows frowned, "What nonsense are you sprouting? I'm right here with you, aren't I?" She shut her book with her other hand and pinched his cheek. "Shouldn't you be doing your work?" she said, looking down at him. He just smiled at her as she finally paid attention to him. "Pfft, you are like a child, wanting attention," she chuckled, seeing his action.

"Of course. We have to cherish our time together," he said with a playful smile. She smiled before leaning down to kiss his forehead. After she finished kissing his forehead, she straightened her back and avoided his gaze with her cheek bright red.

"I think you miss a spot," he said with a smile, using his pointer finger to tap his lips. Immediately, her ears blushed red, and she answered back, "Look at this cunning fox trying to obtain a kiss. Well, too bad for you. I already gave you a kiss." She smiled with her finger, touching the little mole under his eye.

"Oh..," ZhangWei said with a smile before slowly playing with her hair until his hand grabbed the back of her neck and pulled her down to him. Once their lips touched each other, ZhangWei moved his lips against hers and tried to take advantage of opening it up and allowing him to enter. Before he could enter her mouth, someone knocked on the door.

"Leader Wang?" the voice called out. Immediately, Xiaomei used her hand to push herself away from him. She quickly wiped her lips with her cheeks bright red.

"Leader Wang," the person called out again. ZhangWei's eyes darken in irritation before getting off her lap and answering the person. "Come in," he said.

The door opened, and Junfeng entered. "Sorry for the interruption, but we just received a letter from Crown Prince LiJie," Junfeng bowed his head before giving the letter to ZhangWei.

ZhangWei opened the letter. Once he read it, his gaze turned to Xiaomei. "What's wrong?" she said.

"Here," he said, giving it to her to look at it. She grabbed it and read it.

"Huh?" she said in her head. She didn't understand. Why...why did they need her? She and ZhangWei both looked at each other.

In the letter, LiJie wrote that the Emperor didn't believe them about Zhou Haitao until he heard it from Daiyu.