Chapter 39

Soon enough, it was ZhangWei's birthday celebration. It was a great banquet. Once again, Xiaomei sat at the very back to not be noticed. She was snacking and drinking tea in silence.

"Happy birthday, Wang ZhangWei!" people shouted at him and gave him cheers.

"Have you thought of getting married yet?" a person asked. ZhangWei wasn't bothered by that and ignored them.

"What about Zhou Baozhai? Do you remember you two will always be together back in the day," another one said. Baozhai was shocked to hear what she was hearing as she and LiJie looked at each other while Bojing and Chuhua looked at Baozhai.

"Wouldn't they be the perfect couple," a person said. Baozhai awkwardly smiled in discomfort with what the conversation was going.

"Yes, and they can be the very next leaders of our sect. They would be the best," another said.

"Here it is," Xiaomei thought, snacking on the dessert at her table.

"I agree. They will be the best leaders," a person said before others started agreeing. Xiaomei leaned on her hand and watched Zhou Haitao enduring the anger he was having right now. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. He was sitting here, alive, and they were already having two people replacing him. He clenched his fist in his sleeves and thought he still needed ZhangWei, but he must kill Baozhai. He then gave out a signal to his men by the door as they left the banquet. Xiaomei watched the show and didn't notice someone was watching her.

"Huang Daiyu," a voice called her. She looked at the person who called her. He smiled cunningly. "I didn't see a gift from you yet," ZhangWei said, causing everyone to shut up and look in her direction.

She forced a tight smile and thought, "He really can't stop picking on me." She then said, "Oh, I was waiting for the right time." She handed a small box to a servant, and he brought the small box to ZhangWei. ZhangWei looked at the small box before opening it. His eyes smiled to see what was inside. He lifted out a waist tassel with a black jade attached to it. "A fox?" he said, looking at the carving on the black jade.

"Yes, seeing this. It made me remember you," Xiaomei said. "An annoying, cunning fox," she said under her breath for herself to hear.

"I thank you for the gift," he said with a smile.

Bojing then looked at the small jade charmed Xiaomei had given him. He then felt guilty as he still wanted to apologize to Xiaomei, but he couldn't say a word before Xiaomei kicked him out.

"A tassel," LiJie said, remembering something. He then looked at Baozhai and the small waist tassel in his sleeve. He had forgotten to give back Baozhai the small tassel to her. Before LiJie could talk to Baozhai, a person asked, "Zhou Baozhai, have you thought of getting married yet? You are not exactly young anymore."

Baozhai awkwardly laughed and said politely, "No, I haven't. I-I haven't found the time yet."

It didn't take long before the conversation started up again. Zhou Haitao quietly left in anger, tired of hearing this again as no one noticed him leave, except for Xiaomei, who remained quiet and watched the entertainment.