Chapter 18

After lounging around in the evening, Xiaomei started to prepare dinner. She had kept the fish bones that still had a bit of meat within them and the fish head. She set those aside and started to cut up some green onions and gingers. Once she finished cutting, she added oil to the wok and tossed the fish bones and fish head in. She cooked it until it was golden brown before tossing in the green onions and gingers. Then, she poured boiling hot water into the wok and did a couple of stirs to make sure the fish bones and fish head weren't stuck on the bottom. She covered the wok to let the fish soup simmer for a couple of minutes.

Afterward, she separated the liquid from the solid food before adding some salt and white black pepper. Once she was done, she set down three bowls of milky fish soup on the table and garnished the soups with a few chopped green onions on top.

Night had arrived as they were finishing up their dinner. Xiaomei asked, "Let's go to the night market?"

Both Bao and LiMei look a bit startled at Xiaomei's question. "Miss, it could be dangerous at night," LiMei said.

"Yes, Miss, the night market has some areas that are sketchy," Bao said as well.

"Well, we'll just stay in crowded and safe areas then. Also, I have you, Bao. Don't I? What's there to be afraid of?" Xiaomei said as both Bao and LiMei were still reluctant. "Just for an hour," she added. Bao and LiMei hesitantly agreed.

"Miss, do you want me to get your face veil?" LiMei asked.

"Yes," she said as she knew that words about her had probably spread already. Once LiMei left, Xiaomei whispered to Bao, "Don't worry about protecting me. Just focus your attention on LiMei."

"Miss," he retaliated while blushing. She chuckled before LiMei returned.

"What are you guys talking about?" she asked.

"Nothing," Bao quickly answered in a flustered voice. Xiaomei could see his ear getting red and smiled silently.

Once she stepped one foot outside, she saw how beautiful the night market was as all the lanterns were lit and shined so brightly. They were all hanging everywhere and crowds of people walking underneath them, not noticing their simple beauty.

"Miss, where do you want to go first?" LiMei asked.

"Anywhere," she answered.

"Do you want a bingtanghulu?" LiMei asked. She simply nodded and followed a tall man carrying a bunch of bingtanghulu. Each of them had one. "Ooo, Miss, do you want a lantern?" LiMei pointed out.

"Yes," she said genuinely. They hurried to the stall that sells lanterns. "Sorry, sir. Excuse me," Xiaomei said, bumping into a tall man but continuing on without looking at his face.

The tall man found her voice to be familiar as he turned back to see the lady in pink had already hurried away. "Wang ZhangWei, the restaurant is this way," someone said. He nodded and continued.