Chapter 38

"What are you thinking so much," ZhangWei said, causing her to snap out of her thoughts.

"Nothing," she answered back.

"Are you worried about that man?" ZhangWei asked. "No-" she tried to say.

"Don't worry. I have one of my men watch over you. Haoyu," ZhangWei said before a shadow guard appeared in front of them. "This is Haoyu. He will protect you. You can call for him whatever you need him," ZhangWei said.

"Hello, Miss Daiyu," he greeted Xiaomei.

"That won't be necessary," Xiaomei tried to say. "Do you want to get injured again?" ZhangWei said extremely concerned.

"Yes, Miss Daiyu. Don't worry, I will protect you," Haoyu said. Xiaomei wanted to refuse again, but she could see that they were not going to let it go, so she didn't refuse again.

"Alright. Can you call the physician for me?" Xiaomei said. She knew if she wanted to speed the story up a bit, then she needed her health to be better, so she could save Baozhai from getting injured.

ZhangWei raised his eyebrow in curiosity and said worriedly, "Why? Are you not feeling well?"

She gave a little cough and said, "I wanted to thank him and see how I am doing." She avoided his gaze. She tried to make it like she didn't notice his gaze.

"Yes, Miss," Haoyu said before disappearing.

They sat there in silence for a couple of minutes before the physician arrived. Once the physician arrived, Xiaomei said, "Mister Wei and Haoyu, can you two step outside? It's not right for two unmarried men to be in a room when a woman is getting her body checked."

ZhangWei raised his eyebrow in suspicion before listening to her and stepping outside with Haoyu.

"Miss Daiyu, are you feeling any pain or discomfort anywhere?" the physician asked.

"Oh, no. I'm not feeling any pain. Just a little discomfort here and there. But the reason I asked for you was to thank you for helping me," Xiaomei said.

"Miss Daiyu," the physician tried to say, but Xiaomei continued, "Doctor, is there anything to help me get better faster? I need to recover."

The physician stood there in silence before clearing his throat. "Miss Daiyu, are you concerned about the poison?" He asked as he remembered the scary ZhangWei was outside and felt it was best to find a cure for Daiyu soon, or ZhangWei would kill him if he didn't.

"Poison?" Xiaomei said, confused.

"Miss Daiyu, you don't know," the physician asked, confused.

"I don't know what you are talking about," Xiaomei said with her forehead crinkled.

"Miss Daiyu, you have poison inside your body as it has spread throughout your body. Do you have any memories of when you were poisoned? So it can help me find a cure for you," the physician said.

"Poison?" Xiaomei thought. He saw how Xiaomei wasn't saying anything.

"Miss Daiyu, don't worry. The poison is frozen within your body, but I don't know how long that will last. However, I will try my best to find a cure," the physician said.

"Frozen," Xiaomei said in her head before it clicked in her head. "It makes sense why this body has poison. The real Daiyu died from drinking poison when I got here, so it's only right for this body to have poison in her entire body. Since she is no longer here and I am just occupying her body. So when I leave this place, then Daiyu will no longer cease to exist," she thought.

"Thank you for telling me, but don't worry about finding me a cure. I have accepted my fate, but I do wish for you to tell me how to get better now, at least for me to get back on my feet," Xiaomei said. "But, Miss Daiyu," he tried to persuade, but she used her hand to tell him to stop. "It's fine," she said.

He was silent for a moment before saying, "The only thing that can help is drinking the medicine I gave you and getting enough rest," he said.

"Alright, thank you," she said. Since she has decided to help save Baozhai. So Baozhai wouldn't get injured, and the story can progress a little faster. She must take care of her body to get better.

ZhangWei and Haoyu entered again, and the physician said she was recovering well as he left.

"Why don't you want to find a cure," ZhangWei said in a serious tone while giving a glance at Haoyu before Haoyu nodded his head and disappeared into the shadows again.

"Since you weren't willing to tell me about the poison and even eavesdrop, then what's the point in explaining," Xiaomei said nonchalantly.

ZhangWei was quiet before walking towards her. "I-I was going to tell you once you got better," he said. She looked at him.

"Is that so, Mister Wei? It feels like you were going to tell me after you found the cure or once I was cured," Xiaomei said, not believing his words.

"Fine. Since you saw through me, then there's no hiding it. I don't care if you don't want the cure. I'm still going to find a cure," ZhangWei said seriously.

"It's my business. It has nothing to do with you. I have accepted my fate," Xiaomei said. She didn't want him to waste his effort finding her a cure when it wouldn't work since Daiyu had already died and she doesn't belong here.

"It does. I care about you, and I don't want you to die," ZhangWei said, staring at her in the eyes. She could see how serious he was. She was speechless. She sighed in her heart as she saw his eyes showing great emotion.

She opened her mouth. "Fine, but promise me. You can find a cure once we find out who's the killer is," Xiaomei said as she thought, "By the time they find out the killer, then they will probably be busy and forget all about this, and then it will be time for me to leave." ZhangWei looked at her and could tell she was serious, but he felt something else. However, he couldn't pinpoint it, so he agreed and thought by that time, he would have probably figured it out.

______

It took two weeks for Xiaomei to fully recover, and ZhangWei's birthday was just around the corner. During her recovery, ZhangWei continued to stay by her side and refused to untie the ribbon until she finally recovered. Since ZhangWei was around, Zhou Haitao couldn't show up to finish the job of killing her.

Baozhai and them occasionally visit her to see ZhangWei and her together. LiJie, Bojing, and Chuhua would try to open their mouths to apologize, but before they could say a word, Xiaomei would kick them out.

______
She was inside her room, reading a novel she had been reading during her recovery.

"Haoyu," Xiaomei called before a shadow guard appeared in front of her.

"You call, Miss," Haoyu said.

"Where did your master go?" Xiaomei asked.

"To answer Miss Daiyu. Young Master Wang had to go out. He said he will come back later tonight," Haoyu reported. Xiaomei went silent when she heard the last part.

"Well, go inform him that I don't need him to show up here tonight," she ordered.

"Yes, Miss," Haoyu answered before bowing his head.

Before he could leave, she stopped him, "Is it true that your master's birthday is coming up?"

"Yes," he answered. She fidgeted with her fingers before saying, "What does he like?"

Haoyu's eyebrows raised in surprise before he answered her question. She listened and didn't know what to get him. She felt like she should give him something since he did save her. Haoyu disappeared again, and she set the book aside and got up.

She left the residence to buy a gift for ZhangWei.