Chapter 35

It was just ZhangWei and Xiaomei in the room. He walked closer to the bed before sitting beside her. "You didn't die last time, so you can survive again. A stubborn and feisty person like you won't die easily. You better not die on me," he said, poking her forehead, but she didn't make a sound or movement. He sighed deeply, expecting her to wake up and show her fake smile as she was trying to hide her anger from showing.

He sat there in silence as he found it funny. This pain he was feeling. He wasn't used to this feeling. It felt like his heart was being ripped out of him. Looking at her injuries, he felt so much pain, as if he could feel them. When he saw the blood trails and the mess in her room, he didn't feel at ease as a horrible gut feeling was eating him alive as he would never see her again, and he had to find her no matter what. This feeling was way worse than he felt for Baozhai.

He softly chuckled before looking down at her pale face. He always thought he liked Baozhai since he was little and always worried about her, but Daiyu was different in his heart. He thought Daiyu was just something that entertained him, and when he was tired of it, then it didn't matter anymore, but he didn't expect that he couldn't let her go or let anyone have her. She was something precious to him.

"When did you enter my heart and push Baozhai out?" ZhangWei said to Xiaomei before poking her forehead again. However, she didn't hear a single word of his confession. He then held her cold hand. "I'm sorry. It took me so long. If I got here soon, you wouldn't be in this condition," he said.

_______

Baozhai's uncle was lucky enough to escape and made it back to his room. He had told one of his men to lie to the others that he went to investigate so he wouldn't be back for a couple of days as he had to recover his injuries or they would become suspicious of his injuries.

________

Baozhai had recovered in a day, while Xiaomei didn't have any sign of waking up. A whole month had passed, and winter was here, but Xiaomei still didn't wake up. Xiaomei's face did look better than before, and her lips had some color in them. ZhangWei didn't leave her side and stayed by her side.

Finally, one snowy day, ZhangWei was sitting on a chair, reading letters before a shadow guard appeared in front of him. "Have you found anything about that person," ZhangWei said.

"No, we are still trying to figure out how he disappeared once he entered a room," the shadow guard reported.

"Wasn't he bleeding on his arm? Is there a trail of blood?" ZhangWei said.

"Yes, but it disappeared once he entered the room," the shadow guard said.

"Which room?" ZhangWei said. "It's a deserted guest room, close to Zhou Haitao's room," the shadow guard reported again.

ZhangWei leaned on his arm before saying, "Is that so? I wonder if Zhou Haitao has found any clues since he is finally back." ZhangWei then ordered the shadow guard, "Tell Junfeng to get information from Zhou Haitao," ZhangWei didn't want to leave Xiaomei alone.

"Yes," the shadow guard said before disappearing. ZhangWei then glanced at Xiaomei and said, "Don't worry, I will find that person." He got up to see her still unconscious. He poked her forehead and said, "What's taking you so long? Haven't you slept enough?"

Then a knock came through. "Come in," ZhangWei said. A servant came in and said that Baozhai wanted to speak with him since she wanted to know how Xiaomei was doing. ZhangWei was reluctant to leave but followed the servant out.

Once the door closed, Xiaomei slowly regained consciousness and still found herself in pain. It wasn't as horrible as it was before, she thought. It was manageable. She slowly moved herself to find no one in sight. The entire room was empty. Xiaomei sighed and thought, "Why am I expecting people to be here? I am the evil rival of the main girl that no one cares about. This emptiness feels horrible. If I was back home, my family would be here." Xiaomei slowly sat herself up. "I miss LiMei and Bao. They would have kept me accompanied right now. If they were here, maybe Bao would have protected me before I got hurt, and LiMei would have called for help... Let's get out of here," she said in her head, getting ready to get off the bed.

She remembered when she was unconscious, and at the brim of death, she was just in complete darkness. "I guess that wasn't a way back home. I'll have to wait until the end of the story then," she muttered to herself.

However, she didn't want to be here any longer, especially in this book. With these people, she was done.

She slowly got off the bed. "Since the story is moving forward. There is no reason for me to be here. They don't need me. I will go back to the capital and wait for the end." Xiaomei was starting to groan in pain. She gritted her teeth and started packing.