Chapter 45

Xiaomei reached ZhangWei's residence. It took her a while since she had to stop to catch her breath or suppress her pain. She never noticed how ZhangWei's home was pretty simple and relaxed as it makes a person want to stay and relax in one home. Once she entered, Junfeng was startled to see Xiaomei. "Miss Daiyu, why are you here? You should be resting."

"How is he?" Xiaomei asked, showing great concern. When Junfeng saw Xiaomei's face, he knew why she was there and kept quiet. He showed her ZhangWei's room.

She entered the room alone and saw him on the bed. His face was ghostly pale. His stomach, arm, and shoulder were all bandaged up. She could see the blood seeping through them. Junfeng had told her that ZhangWei was going to be alright, but it was going to take him a few months to recover. She then noticed many scars on his body.

She hovered over him and reached her hand out to touch his forehead. She wiped the sweat off his forehead. Her eyes widened before she placed her hand flat on his forehead. He was burning up. "He has a fever," she said to herself. "Haoyu? Junfeng?" Xiaomei called out.

It didn't take long before both of them showed up. She informed them that ZhangWei has a fever and asked one of them to bring her some water to wipe his forehead.

A couple of minutes later, a maid brought a bowl of water and a small towel, while another maid brought a small bowl of medicine. They set it down before everyone left, leaving Xiaomei alone with ZhangWei. Xiaomei sat beside him on the bed. She lifted his head a bit, but immediately she felt a shot of pain from her hand as she tried to suppress her groan. He then made a deep low moan of pain when she moved him. She held his head in her arms before grabbing the small bowl of medicine. She used her injured hand to scoop the medicine. She blew the medicine to cool it down before forcing the spoon into his mouth. He groaned deeply and slightly moved in her arms.

"Is it your turn to make a fuss," she teased the unconscious ZhangWei, continuing to feed him.

"I learned from the best...," an extremely weak voice said. Her eyes widened and looked down to see his eyes open and a weak smile on his face.

"You're awake," Xiaomei said, setting the medicine aside. She instantly was in high spirits and no longer felt any pain. She tried to put his head back down and get off the bed. "W-where are you going," he said weakly.

"To get the physician. You are awake," she said in a rush, but he used all the strength he had accumulated to grab her sleeve to stop her from putting his head down. "Don't.... leave," he said. She looked at his puppy eyes, and her body slowed down before she adjusted her position and called for Haoyu and Junfeng.

_______

The physician finished checking on him and said it was a good sign that ZhangWei regained consciousness even though he was still not in the best condition and he should continue to rest.

Once again, it was just the two of them since everyone left. Xiaomei had finished giving him medicine and was now sitting on the edge of his bed while he was lying down.

Xiaomei squeezed the small towel with one hand to get out the water. She then wiped his forehead and his neck. She remained silent while he watched her. After she finished wiping him, she soaked the towel and squeezed it again before placing the towel on his forehead. "Does this help a little bit?" Xiaomei asked.

"Ngh," he responded at first. "Much better," he said with a smile.

"You should get some rest," she said, pulling the blanket up to him.

"Y-you tooo," he said, looking at her with great concern. He could see how pale she was and how her eyebrows frowned when she was enduring her pain. "Don't worry. Rest," she said. She thought she didn't want to owe him since he protected her, and he also took care of her when she was injured, so it was only right to do the same. He silently looked at her as if he wanted to say something but didn't have the energy to speak. She looked at him and thought of something before saying, "Don't worry. Tomorrow, I'll tell you the news about Zhou Baozhai. I know you are probably worried about her," she said, patting his hand as she assumed he wanted to ask about Baozhai since he liked her. She lightly smiled to assure him. She thought, "Poor guy. He risked his life for her but doesn't get the girl. Hopefully, you find someone. Even though the book doesn't say anything about you finding someone at the end. I will assume you did."

In her deep thoughts to herself, she didn't notice ZhangWei's gaze on her before he struggled to latch onto her hand. "Hm?" Xiaomei snapped out of her thoughts and winced in pain before looking at him. She stared at him, not understanding what he was doing. He lifted her injured hand to his face. "Oh, don't worry. The pain is bearable," she lied as she assumed he was worried about her injured hand. However, she didn't expect him to kiss her hand.