Chapter 71

The very next day, ZhangWei went out. Xiaomei didn't mind and stayed behind. She kept herself busy with her novels. Soon, out of the blue, Haoyu appeared in front of her.

"Miss Daiyu, we wanted to inform you that we spotted one of Zhou Haitao's men snooping around here, but don't worry, we have already taken care of it. Also, Young Master was informed and said he would be back very soon," Haoyu reported to her. Bao and LiMei immediately became troubled by the news. Their eyebrows frowned in worry as they listened. It took a minute for Xiaomei to comprehend what Haoyu said with her eyes slightly widened by the news, but then she immediately said, "Tell him not to worry since everything was taken care of. ZhangWei doesn't need to come back. He can continue to help them out."

"Sorry, Miss Daiyu, but Young Master has already arrived," Haoyu said, looking behind her and slightly bowing his head before disappearing into the shadows again. Xiaomei turned her head to see ZhangWei walking towards her.

"Z-ZhangWei," she tried to say, but he already placed his palm against her cheek,

"Are you alright?" he said softly. She looked up at him.

"I'm fine. Nothing happened. Your men already handle it without me noticing anything," she reassured him. He took a small sigh of relief and rubbed her cheek with his thumb.

"Alright," he said. Before she could say anything, he already said, "I have to go somewhere, but Haoyu and my men will be on watch, so you are safe."

"Where are you going?" Xiaomei asked, slightly tilting her head as she sensed the tightness in his voice.

He smiled before answering, "I need to know where his master is." She could hear the cold chill in his voice. Soon ZhangWei left. Both LiMei and Bao insisted that she head inside. She agreed and headed back inside.

She didn't expect ZhangWei to be gone for most of the remaining day. He arrived back when the moon was high in the sky. She lowered her book down before putting it aside once she saw him entering her room and walking towards her.

"How did things go? Why did it take you so long?" She asked many questions at once. He sat down beside her on her bed before slowly answering her questions one at a time.

"Nothing to worry about. Everything is handled," he answered being discreet.

She narrowed her eyes and said, "Tell me." He smiled, seeing her stubborn eyes glaring at him.

He began to tell her everything. He simply explained to her that Zhou Haitao's men refused to talk, so they killed him. When ZhangWei informed Baozhai and them about Zhou Haitao's men, they also told him they planted a trustworthy minister as a mole for them.

Xiaomei quietly listened to every word as her full attention was on him. "No need to stress about things. Everything is being handled," ZhangWei said, rubbing her head. She sighed in relief before asking, "What about the memorial service? It's everything going as planned?" ZhangWei nodded his head.

"That's good," Xiaomei said as everything was going well and everything was being prepared.

"Ah, here." ZhangWei pulled out a narrow box from his sleeve. She accepted it while asking, "What is it?"

When she opened it, she saw a simple silver hairpin with a small jade pendant attached to it inside the box. She looked up at him, not understanding why he was giving her a hairpin out of the blue. He reached over and picked out the hairpin from the box. He then held one end of the hairpin before pulling the other end. Her eyebrows raise in surprise. He soon pulled out a narrow sharp dagger.

"To protect you if anything happens," he said, putting the dagger back into its sheath as it returned to an ordinary hairpin. She looked at him speechless, as he placed it back into the box.

"Um..thank you," she said.

"I'm hoping you don't have to use it since you will have me, but just in case anything happens," ZhangWei said, lightly tapping her nose.