Part 17

*benny's pov*

I wake up. I thought about what happened all night. As much as I want y/n, she's right I can't just ditch Britney, besides y/n is going with Philips, as long as she's happy. I slide out of bed and get changed. Before I leave my room, I grab my dodgers hat off the floor. I check the time. 7:45. I decide to skip breakfast and head straight to school.

I open my locker and start shoving my books into it. I see Britney walking over to me. She stops In front of me and wraps her arms around me. I haven't got the energy to ask her to let go.

"The dance is tomorrow." She says.

"Yeah" I reply

"Your house is closer so I'll just meet you at your house."

"Sure" I say subtlety getting out of her grasp before walking to my class. The walls are covered in posters for the dance; seeing it makes me really wish I didn't have to go. I walk into my class; at the back is y/n next to Philips. Hes talking to her about something clearly not interesting considering her blank facial expressions. She looks so
bored.

*y/n's pov*

I'm so bored. Philips keeps talking about how his baseball game went a few days ago. I don't want to be rude or anything but I don't care at all and I wish that he would shut up. I say nothing and keep pretending to be interested because he is just being nice and making conversation, I guess.

I look around the room and see benny watching me and Philips. All my focus turns straight to benny. I give him a look to show I don't want to be near Philips, hoping he'll help me. But instead he just laughs, he finds my suffering funny. But I can't help smile seeing him smile.

"What are you smiling at?" Philips asks

I focus myself back to Philips "not sure."

He looks behind him to see what I was looking at. Even though his face is turned I can tell he's staring right at Benny. After a few seconds he turns back and looks at me. He's not at all trying to hide his annoyed expression on his face.

"Isn't he going to the dance with Britney?" He says

My face drops. I immediately know he's talking about Benny. I'm not sure if I want to know where he's going with this. I slowly nod.

"I heard that they were seen together on a date the other day, apparently they were getting pretty close" Philips glances over at Benny for a second "Everyone thinks he's gonna ask her to be his girlfriend at the dance tomorrow, I mean it's pretty obvious he likes her don't you think?"

I'm lost for words. I shouldn't care, but I do. I can't help it. I'm surprised I never heard about his date with her. I know it's none of my business but I would've thought that yeah-yeah would have said something.

I stay quiet the whole lesson, avoiding conversation with Philips, and Benny. As soon as the lesson ends, I head to my locker as quick as possible. Ignoring Benny is a bit pathetic but now I know he wants to be with Britney I feel like it'll be awkward between me and him.

"You ok?" I quickly turn around and see Benny. My eyes widen a bit, what is he doing here?

"Yeah, I'm fine" I turn around and continue putting things in my locker.

"You sure?" He asks. I turn around but I see Britney down the hall looking over.

"You're girlfriends waiting" I say looking in her direction. He looks over and rolls his eyes.

"She's not my girlfriend" he states.

"Not yet" I mutter before shutting my locker and walking off. As I walk down the hall I see Britney giving me unnecessary dirty looks. "Don't worry, he's all yours" I say.

*bennys pov*

Did I do something wrong? Why is she acting like this? And what did she mean by 'not yet'? I'm so confused. I want to go talk to her but I think she doesn't want to be around me at the moment besides Britney won't shut up, I'm not even sure what she's talking about, I stopped listening when she started talking about her dress for tomorrow. I continue to smile and nod. After what feels like forever , she finally says she has to go to lesson.

As soon as school ends I go straight to the sandlot. Most of the boys are already here. They're sitting in the dugout waiting for everyone to get here. I walk over and sit down next to yeah-yeah.

"You alright, man?" Squints asks.

"Yeah yeah you look pretty crappy." Yeah-yeah says.

"I'm fine" I mutter.

"Is it about y/n?" Yeah-yeah asks.

"Yeah uh when was the last time you spoke to her?" I ask.

"Not since this morning, why?" He replies.

"She just seems kinda mad at me but I'm not too sure what I did." I sigh.

"Don't worry about it, it's probably nothing. I'll talk to her tonight."

"Thanks man." I smile at him.

"The others are here now so let's play some ball." Says kenny.

*y/ns pov*

Out of nowhere Yeah-yeah barges into my room.

"Are you mad at Benny?" He says getting straight to the point.

"no." I mutter.

"Cmon y/n, tell me." He insists

"He going to ask Britney to be his girlfriend tomorrow."

"oh" he stays quiet for a moment before forming an offended look on his face. "He never told me that! I can't believe him. He always tells me these type of things!"

I shrug unsure what to say.

"Are you sure? Because he tells me everything. And I'm sure he would have told me this." He says "who told you?"

"Philips" I say.

"Y/n, no offence but you're so dumb. Why are you believing what Philips said? Talk to Benny at the dance tomorrow and ask him because it's probably not even true."

He has got a point, I shouldn't be believing anything Philips says. "Yeah okay, thanks"

He smiles before leaving my room.