Part 40

I finally find my bikini hidden under my huge pile of clothes that really needs sorting. I grab a bag and shove my towel in it.

Summer break had finally started meaning today was the day mine and Benny's group of friends had planned to all go to the pool. I hadn't spoken to Benny for a couple of days, not since I found out Phoebe has a huge crush on him.

I make my way downstairs in search of my parents. I find my dad sat in his office filling out paperwork.

"Hey dad, I'm going to the pool with a few friends and I'll be back in a few hours." I tell him.

"You going with anyone I know?" He asks.

I hesitate. "Uhhh you know Benny. He's going."

Dads face lights up. "Say hi to Benny for me. I haven't seen him in a while."

"Yep...will do." I smile before exiting the house.

I walk down my driveway and along the empty road in the direction to the pool. After a moment or two, I hear quick footsteps behind me. Please don't be him, please.

"Y/n." Fuck, it's him.

"Benny." I reply. I quickly glance at him and continue walking.

He follows, catching up next to me. "Is everything okay?" His voice has a serious tone.

"Mhm." I mutter.

He says nothing for a moment. "Did I do something?"

I don't want Benny thinking he did anything because he didn't, he's been nothing back perfect these last few weeks. I'm desperate to explain why I'm acting the way I am but I can't.

"No I promise." I say.

"Then why have you been ignoring me for the last couple days?" He asks.

"Going behind yeah-yeahs back feels wrong and him finding out could make everything messy again." I lie.

What I said wasn't really a lie but that wasn't the reason I'd been ignoring him. Phoebe is one of the nicest girls I've met and I'd hate to lose her because of something like this.

"You never had an issue with that before." He frowns.

"Well I do now." I mutter, refusing to look at him.

"Yeah, whatever." He says in a rude tone.

I frown at him.

He looks at me, taking a deep breath. "I don't know what's going on but you know you can talk to me, about anything."

I look at the ground saying nothing.

"Alright then." He sighs in defeat.

In this moment all I wanted to do was apologise and fix this whole issue. But it was too late. I'd already lied to the girls about not knowing Benny and I'd already lied to Benny about why I'd been ignoring him. I've really fucked up here.

The silence between us doesn't last long as we turn the corner and see the everyone waiting by the entrance of the pool.

"You guys took forever!" Says Gracie.

I smile. "Well we're here now."

"How come you guys came together, I thought you didn't really know each other." Says River.

Benny looks at me confused. I look at him, my face covered in guilt.

"We live near each other so we ended up bumping into one another on the way here." I explain.

"Saying you live near each other is a bit of an understatement, don't you think." Kenny looks at me.

I give him a look, gesturing for him to shut the hell up.

"What are you talking about?" Christian looks at us confused, just like all the others.

"They live right next to each other, didn't y'all know that." Kenny reveals. I'm going to kill him.

"That's so cool! I can't believe I didn't know that." Phoebe says.

"So if you're neighbours how did you not know each other before?" Dylan questions. Can they all just shut the fuck up.

"I don't know." I answer. "Can we just go in the pool now?"

"Yeah, let's go get changed." Taylor says.

As soon as we get inside the changing rooms Phoebe turns her attention to me. "Benny's your neighbour?!" She looks at me excitedly.

"Yeah I guess he is." I smile.

Her face lights up. "Y/n please help me, I really like him."

"Uhhh how do you want me to help?" I ask.

"Um I'm not actually too sure but you do live next to him so maybe try talk to him for me." She suggests "you don't have to, it's totally up to you."

"Yeah I will try." I reassure her. I don't want to but she's so sweet I can't turn her down. I can't be mad at her because she has no clue that me and Benny ever had something. She's just a girl who has a crush on a boy, there's nothing wrong with that.

"thank you y/n!" She shrieks, giving me a hug.

I'm really fucking this up for myself.