Part 42

"Guys I got an idea." Kenny says.

"What?" I question.

"Let's go play baseball." He decides.

"Yes!" I jump out of my seat.We had only been at Benny's for around an hour but i haven't played baseball in ages and I'm desperate to play.

"I'll go get a bat!" Benny says rushing upstairs. Baseball is one of Benny's most favourite things ever and he hasn't played it in forever so I'm sure he's more excited to play than I am.

A few seconds later, he comes rushing back downstairs with a baseball and a handful of gloves.

"There's 10 of us, so what are we gonna do about that?" Asks River.

"We can work it out when we get there." Christian says.

"I don't know how to play." Phoebe says.

"I can teach you." Benny offers.

"Thanks." She smiles at him.

"We going to the Sandlot?" I ask.

"Yeah, all the others aren't there today, considering me and Bertram were busy and they can play without nine people." Kenny explains.

"Okay good." Says Benny.

It only takes a few minutes to get there and just like Kenny had said, the sandlot boys weren't there.

"Who wants to bat?" Dylan asks.

"Phoebe, why don't you have a go?" Suggests Benny.

"Uhh I don't really know how." Her voice is shy and quiet.

"It's alright, I can teach you." He smiles.

"Thank you." She says following him to go bat.

Kenny is pitcher as usual. The rest of us still haven't taken our positions yet.

I look over at Benny and Phoebe. He has his hands around her waist positioning her so she can bat properly; just like he did with me.

My stomach drops. I try to feel happy that it's going well between them, considering I wanted him to go out with her. This is what I wanted,right?

I take a seat on the bench in the dugout.

"Are you not playing?" Dylan asks.

"No, I'll sit out." I sigh.

"Everything okay?" He asks.

"Yeah I just don't feel like playing right now." I force a smile.

"Well if you wanna play, come and tell me. I don't mind sitting out so you can play."

"Thank you, Dylan." I say. He smiles before running off to find a position.

I once again look over at Benny and Phoebe. They are still in the same position as before. She looks behind at him, their faces becoming closer to one another. They smile out each other. I can see them speaking to each other but I'm too far away to hear.

"Cmon you two lovers, we are waiting!" Teases Gracie.

I can't be mad at any of them but it's not like they know about what happened with me and Benny. I should be mad at myself if anything, I'm the one who set myself up for disappointment.

Benny let's go of her and takes his position as catcher. Kenny pitches the ball. Phoebe swings the bat, missing the ball.

"Don't worry about it, you'll get it next time." Benny reassures her. "I believe in you."

Im getting major deja vu right now. The way he's acting with her, is exactly how he acted with me. I used to feel special and loved when he acted that way towards me, but if that's how he treats all girls, I feel the total opposite now. My fault though, so I need to stop caring.

Phoebe bats for the next ten minutes, she's actually quite good.

"Hey y/n, why don't you come bat?" Phoebe suggests. "I need to rest."

"Sure I guess." I say taking the bat from her.

"You ready?" Kenny says. I get in position and nod. I can't concentrate knowing Benny is right behind me.

I swing and miss the ball. I missed the ball. I pretty much never miss. I brush it off, blaming it on the fact I haven't played in forever.

I take a deep breath, taking my position again. I swing again, the ball landing in Benny's hand. What the fuck is going on. How have I missed it again.

"Fuck sake." I mutter under my breath.

I get into position once more and swing. I miss.

"What the fuck!" I yell angrily. "Why can't I fucking hit it!?"

"It's only a game, y/n." River says. "Don't worry about it."

I know he has good intentions saying that but it just makes me more mad.

I throw the bat. "Fuck this." I walk off, in the direction of the exit. I know I'm acting really petty right now, but every thing is pissing me off at the moment. I need to leave before making things worse in front of the others.

"Y/n, come back!" Taylor yells.

Once I'm out of the sandlot, I stop, putting my head in my hands trying to calm down.

"Y/n, what just happened?" I hear a voice ask. I look up and see Bertram.

"Don't worry about it." I say.

"It's Benny isn't it?" He replies.

I look up at him. "What makes you think that?"

"Y/n, I know. I know everything." He tells me.

I look at him confused. "Did Kenny tell you?"

"Well me and him kinda worked this whole thing out together. When you two spoke about it, that confirmed it. He didn't tell me what you guys spoke about, don't worry. He just confirmed that what we were thinking happened was right." He explains.

"I don't know why I didn't just tell Phoebe straight away, I'm so stupid."

"No y/n, you're not." He reassures me. "You're an amazing friend."

"Not to Benny." I state.

"Listen, what you and Benny have is unbreakable, you two are made for each other." Bertram tells me. "Him and Phoebe won't last forever, you and him will find your way back to each other eventually, just be patient."

As I take in Bertram's words, I come to a realisation. "Im in love with Benny. Like really really in love with him. And I've just set him up with my friend."

"Yeah well no shit." Bertram says.

"What do I do?!" I look at him with despair. "I don't want to lose him."

"My god y/n, if only you has this realisation like a week ago."