Part 24

I spend the rest of the weekend in my room. I'm worried that if i go out i'll see benny. As much as i need to talk to him, I've got to respect his privacy. If he doesn't want to be near me then i respect that. I don't blame him, he has every right to be upset with me but it is unfair that he won't let me explain the whole story. If he knew that i wasn't at all keen on going with Philips or that i declined his offer to wear his jacket at first, maybe he would be a bit more understanding. But until i have to chance to tell him, i'll let him get on with his life, without me.

"y/n! get up for school! You're going to be late!" i hear my mum yell from downstairs.

I groan before sliding out of bed looking for my clothes that are scattered around my room. I finally find a pair of jeans and a hoodie. Once im ready I hurry downstairs, going straight out the door.

I arrive into class a few minutes late. Everyone is already sat down, awkwardly turning their eyes over at me as I walk to the empty seat. I look over and see Benny sat by the desk next to me. Shit. I haven't seen him since we broke up. I groan, pushing my head against the table.

I avoid making eye contact with Benny during the lesson, but I can feel his eyes on me the whole time.

*Benny's pov*

I keep glancing over at her. I try to resist but I can't help it, I don't know why. Im mad at her right now but it's getting kinda difficult to stay mad. The bell rings causing everyone to jump out of their seats; everyone other than y/n. She seems so unenergetic and sad. She heavily sighs and gets out her seat, aggressively grabbing her books. She leaves still avoiding eye contact with me.

As im walking to my locker I feel the brush of someones arm against mine. I look over to see who's walking with me. Hayley. I smile at her. She's been quite supportive towards me, unlike the sandlot boys.

"you okay?" she asks.

"mhm" I mumble.

"what's wrong?" she asks. I don't say anything. "is it y/n?"

I nod "I guess so"

"well don't worry about it" she says "After school we can go get ice cream or something, hopefully that can cheer you up"

"Thanks Hayley"

"Anytime, now cmon we gotta get to class." she says taking my hand, pulling me down the hall to class.

*y/n's pov*

School was so tiring, I think I may go to the diner which sells amazing ice cream. It's on my route home so I might as well. It's only 5 minutes or so later when I get there. I open the door and directly in front of me is Benny sat eating ice cream with Hayley. He looks so happy. Im not sure if I want to leave or get ice cream but before I even have the chance to decide somebody takes my hand and guides me to a table. When I look up and see that Philips is the one who took my hand, I hesitate.

He looks back at me. "Trust me"

He takes a seat at a table near Benny and Hayley. I don't even have to look to know that they've seen. I sit down opposite him.

"What are you doing!? This is just going to make everything worse!" I complain, trying to be quiet so people cant hear.

"Looks like things have already gotten worse." He gestures over to benny and Hayley.

"Yeah well it's none of your business" I mutter. "You're the reason this all happened in the first place"

"Cmon y/n, talk to me" he says.

"Why should I?" I snap back at him.

"Because I'm the only person you've got right now" he points out. He is right; benny hates me, the sandlot boys aren't talking to me and yeah-yeah isn't either. I stay silent.

"Exactly, so tell me what is going on." He says.

I groan.  "They all hate me because they think I'm still not over you. And I don't know what Benny is doing here with Hayley, but it's clear she has a thing for him"

"She's always had a thing for benny, even when she was with me." He admits.

"Oh" I'm not too sure what to say.

"Listen y/n I know you hate me but I want to help you." He says

"Are you okay Philips? Did you hit you're head or something?"

"Shut up y/n" he complains. I laugh at him.

"Right can you at least hear me out?" He asks

I hesitate at first "fine"

"It took me a while to work this out but I finally did it." He says

"What did you work out?" I ask confused.

"You and Benny dated to make me jealous" he says. I stare at him in shock.

"How the fuck did you work that out?" I ask

"My teammates told me how you reacted when they told you I was with Hayley, which was that you were clearly annoyed but when you told them you had a date to the party you sounded like you'd only just decided who your date was, because you actually had only just decided who your date was." He explains "And at the party you were really hesitant to kiss benny, and I mean the fact your date was benny was just weird in general"

"How!?" I ask offended.

"Well you guys never really speak and mainly he's your brothers best friend. Yeah-yeah would never approve so why would you even risk it. Unless you never told him. Meaning you kept it a secret from the sandlot boys, but that wasn't an issue for you two because you weren't planning on 'dating' for very long, just until I got jealous and broke up with Hayley."

"Wow" I say "you're smarter then I thought"

"Yeah one more thing though." He says.

"What?" I ask.

"You're plan didn't completely work because you fell for him"

I nod. "Yeah, I did."

"Which is why you've gotta get him back." Philips explains.

"How?!" I ask

"Do exactly what you did to make me jealous."

"Huh?" I think for a moment then I realise "No. No way"

"What?! It's a good idea." Philips says defensively.

"I'm not fake dating you to make him jealous!"

"Cmon y/n, it's an amazing plan." He argues

"How would we know that it's definitely going to work?" I ask.

"When you and benny 'dated' it made me jealous" he admits "trust me he likes you so much he'll definitely get jealous"

"And you swear this isn't a way to try get back with me or anything"

"I swear" He reassures me.

"Okay fine"