Part 26

As soon as I get to school I look for Philips. He's by his locker talking to Hayley. what the fuck. I walk over to him. He notices me. 

"Oh hey y/n." he says. Hayley groans and walk away.

"how come you were talking to her?" I ask.

"She just came over to me being all bitchy about yesterday. I cant stand her." He complains.

"um phillips i'm not too sure if we should pretend to date to make Benny jealous." I say.

"Why not?" he asks confused.

"I just don't think it's a good idea and will make everything so much worse." I admit.

"what has happened to make you think that?" he asks.

"Well uh yesterday I saw Benny and Hayley kiss and it really upset me because its only been aa few days since we broke up and I wouldn't want to do anything that would make him feel the way I did." I explain.

"They kissed?!" he asks surprised. I nod.

"They don't know I know so don't say anything please" I say.

"Listen y/n. Him kissing Hayley gives you even more of a reason to do it, make him realise what he's missing." Philips says.

"I don't know, Jordan" I sigh. He gives me a pleading look. I take a moment to consider it. "okay, I'll do it."

A wide grin appears on his face. "This will work, trust me."

*Bennys pov* 

I feel so bad. Yesterday when I kissed Hayley I noticed Y/n's curtains shut meaning she must have seen the kiss. I enjoyed the kiss at the time but every second that passes I start to regret it more and more. To be honest, I think it's made me realise Im still not over y/n. I need to talk to Hayley because I don't want to lead her on but first I have to find Y/n and talk to her. 

The bell has just gone for lunch so I make my way to her locker hoping she'll be there. Im about 10 feet away when I stop. y/n has her back against her locker with Philips towering over her. He leans into her and whispers something to her, making her laugh. God, she's so beautiful. Im stood still looking over at them. Hayley comes up behind me and sighs.

"Have you heard?" she asks.

"Heard what?" I look at her confused.

"Y/n and Philips. They're together." She tells me.

"Oh" is the only thing that escapes my mouth.

My melancholia turns into anger. I cant believe her. She's never gotten over him, has she. Maybe I was wrong about her. I've got to get over her because I don't want to get any more hurt than I already am. 

"Cmon let's just go to the cafeteria." says Hayley, taking my hand and pulling me along down the halls. 

*Y/n's pov*

I can tell that Benny has been avoiding me for the whole week. Ive also noticed he's gotten really  close with Hayley. But whenever I do see him, he always look really bothered about seeing me with Philips so I think the fake dating plan is working.

The school bell rings, announcing the start of the weekend. Im making my way out of school when I hear someone call my name. I turn back and see Philips. I smile at him as he catches up to me.

"Hey" he says "so I was thinking, and I realised that your not playing at the sandlot anymore"

"yeah what about it?" I ask, unsure where he is going with this.

"I think you should join my team, well until everything goes back to normal and you join the sandlot again" He suggests.

I think about it for a moment. I haven't played in quite a while and I did enjoy playing, im not too bad either. There's no reason for me not to play with Phillips and his team.

"Maybe I should" I agree.

"you definitely should" he says "cmon lets go there now, I can properly introduce you to the boys." 

He takes my hand and we make our way to the baseball pitch. When we get there, the whole team are somehow already here. 

"Hey guys, y/n is gonna join and I don't wanna hear any complaints about it otherwise you're off the team" Phillips orders.

"Bit harsh" I whisper.

He smirks at me.

He introduces me to all the players, I only recognise two of the boys who are in a few of my classes. They are not as bad as I thought and I get along with them all quite well. Not as well as I did with the sandlot boys though. 

All of them are really good players and I manage to adjust to how they play quite quickly. They keep track of the score and actually chose sides, unlike the sandlot boys.

We played all afternoon until it started getting dark. Im getting my school bag from their dugout when the two boys I already know, Chris and Kyle come over. 

"So are you and Phillips dating again?" Chris asks.

"yeah we are." I answer. 

"Good, we like you way more than Hayley" says Kyle, which makes me smile.

"Yeah, she was always so bitchy." adds Chris.

"Well that's good to hear." I smile at them. I don't know why hearing that makes me so happy. 

Phillips comes over before anyone has a chance to say anything else. 

"Cmon i'll take you home" he says, offering out his hand. I smile at him before taking it.

Our hands stay held the whole way home, even though nobody was there to see.

*Benny's pov*

When I look out my window, I see that y/n isn't home. I look over to the street. so that's why she's not home. She's outside her house, stood closely in front of Phillips. 

Maybe this was always how it was supposed to be. Me and her fake date to make Phillips jealous. The plan works, they get back together and we go back to being strangers. End of story. 

I was fine without her before so I'll be fine without her now. I guess I'll have to be.

"Benny, stop looking out the window and come over here."

"Yeah im coming now, Hayley."