Part 46

*Y/n's pov*

After waiting for 10 or so minutes, Phoebe finally makes it back. As she's walking closer towards us, I notice her face seems different than usual. The smile she always has is gone, something must've happened while she was getting the drinks.

"Hey girl, you're finally back, i'm soo thirsty." Grins Taylor.

Phoebe smiles, placing the drinks on the bench.

"Can we play now?" Asks Dylan.

"yeah, I just need to talk to y/n quickly. You guys go play though, we'll be there in a minute." Phoebe tells them.

As everyone agrees and runs off, I stay still.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

"I just wanted to talk to you about something I was told while at Vincents Drugstore. I wanted to ask you first before getting all wound up about it." She explains.

"what were you told?" I ask calmly.

"I was told that you and Benny made out, by some girl called Hayley." She tells me, tears forming in her eyes. Panic washes over me. I don't want to ruin our friendship but this is my chance to tell her the truth. I take a deep breath.

"Phoebe.." I sigh. I fail to continue my sentence when in the corner of my eye I see somebody running over to us. I look over and see Benny.

"Phoebe! It's not true." He says out of breath. "Hayley was lying."

Phoebe glances at him before looking back at me. "Is that true y/n?"

I look over at Benny. His face is gesturing for me to say yes.

"Uh yeah. That's right." I say. "Hayley's a liar, you shouldn't believe anything she says."

"Thank god!" She says relieved. "I knew you wouldn't do that to me" she smiles at me.

Guilt washes over me. I put on my best fake smile for her.

"All right i'm gonna go play some baseball now." She says, running over to the others.

"Y/n you seriously need to tell me what is going on." Benny looks at me sternly.

"Not now." I tell him "Not until I have told Phoebe the truth."

He looks at me confused. "Well when are you going to do that?"

"I was about to but you came and messed it up." I mutter.

"Don't get mad at me!" he says defensively.

"I'm not, I know you had good intentions, it's just a little frustrating." I sigh.

He softly stares at me, unsure what to say.

"I think i'm just gonna go home, I'll see you soon benny." I tell him.

"I'll walk you home." he says.

"No, it's okay. you can stay here." I say.

"I wasn't offering. cmon lets go."

~~~

Im startled by the sudden ringing of the telephone beside me. I reach over and grab it, placing it to my ear.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey y/n." a familiar voice says.

"Kenny!" I grin "Everything alright?"

"Yeah I was just calling to ask you something." he tells me.

"Go on."

"Well tomorrow is the Fourth of July and there is a huge party happening for it and ive managed to get us all invited so I was just wondering if you're down to come." he explains.

"Yeah why not, I don't think I have anything planned with my family or anything." I tell him.

"Great! I know where it is so I'll come and pick you up at 7." he explains.

"Okay, thank you Kenny." I say.

"One more thing before I hang up.." he says.

"go on." I wait for him to speak.

"What happened today with you, Benny and Phoebe?" he asks.

I explain to him about what Hayley had said and what Benny told Phoebe about it not being true.

"If that boy had just kept his mouth shut, this whole thing would be fixed and you and benny could finally be together." He complains.

I chuckle, "Yeah well im going to tell her soon, the longer I wait the worse it'll be."

"Yeah maybe tell her tomorrow after the party." He suggests.

"Yeah we'll see." I sigh "I'll see you tomorrow Kenny."

"Bye y/n." he replies before ending the call.

instead of placing the phone down, I dial a number and place it to my ear.

It rings a few times before stopping. "Benny?"

"y/n! Everything okay?" He asks.

"Yeah I was just wondering if you were going to the party tomorrow."

"Yeah, Kenny called me a little while ago about it." he tells me. "Are you gonna go?"

"Yeah if you're going then so will i." I say.

"Great, i'm glad to hear that."

A comfortable silence lingers for a moment.

"Y/n?" Benny says breaking the silence.

"yes, benny."

"Im sorry about what happened with Phoebe earlier. If I had known I wouldn't have said anything." he apologises.

"Benny don't worry about it, it's not your fault that you didn't know." I tell him.

"Yeah I guess. Well whatever is going on with you and Phoebe, I hope it gets fixed because it's clearly stopping you from being with me."

Wait what. Benny wants to be with me? Its killing me that he thinks I dont want to be with him because I want nothing else then to be with him but I know that if I want to be a good friend, my needs arent important right now.

"Benny.." I have no Idea what to say.

"Goodnight y/n" he says, hanging up.