Part 44

I collapse onto the bench in the dugout, chugging the nearest bottle of water. Playing baseball in the heat is never fun. I can feel the sweat slowly drip from my forehead. I grab the bottom of my shirt and wipe my face.

I hear someone take a seat beside me. I glance beside me to see Benny taking a sip of water. I don't even know how to act around him anymore.

I look away, contemplating whether to ask him about his date with Phoebe or not.

Silence is carried out a few moments longer.

"Why didn't you kiss her?" I ask.

"What?" He looks at me confused, even though I'm sure he knows what I'm talking about.

"Phoebe." I say. "Why didn't you kiss her during your date?"

"I don't know, I just didn't I guess." He shrugs. "Why? Is she upset about it?"

"She didn't really say too much about it but i think she might have been a little bit upset." I admit.

"I didn't mean to upset her. It's just that.. kissing her didn't feel right, I don't want to give her false hope or anything." He tells me. "She is a sweet girl and the last thing I want to do it upset her."

*Bennys pov*

The date went really well, I'll admit that. Not as good as the dates i had with y/n but still nice.

I'm not lying when I say I didn't kiss her because I didn't want to give her false hope but I wouldn't say that's the main reason. Kissing one of y/n's friends isn't right. I'm not over y/n and I don't think she's over me but until she tells me that I can't exactly do anything about it.

"Can you please tell me why you wanted me to take her on a date in the first place?" I ask.

Y/n is the most confusing person i have ever met. She wants me to go out with her friend only a few days after going on a date with me. If it were anyone else, I wouldn't let myself be messed around like this but i know y/n and i know there's a reason for all this. I just have to find out what that reason is.

"I just thought you guys would be a good match." she shrugs.

"Cmon y/n, tell me the truth." i tell her, slightly fed up. "You can talk to me, y/n, you know that."

She looks at me, taking a deep breath. "yeah, okay.."

"Are you guys gonna play or what?" Dylan runs over to us, interrupting y/n.

"Uh yeah." Y/n stands up, looking at me one last time before walking over to the others.

"you coming man?" Dylan asks.

"ill sit and watch for a little longer, you go play." i tell him.

I watch as they all play together. As i watch i begin to feel a nostalgic feeling from when i used to play with the sandlot boys. I think i've only just realised how much i miss them all. I've been so selfish and not even bothered to see them.

We didn't all end on good terms but as one of the older boys in the group i'm supposed to be mature and not let things like this happen. I should've checked up on smalls. He's always been on my side with everything.

I stand up and jog over to y/n. She's getting into position to bat but stops when she notices me.

"Everything okay?" She asks.

"I need to talk to smalls." I tell her.

"I know you do." She smiles.

I nod. "I'll see you later."

"Tell me how it goes." she says a little quieter.

I agree before running off in the direction of smalls house.

*Y/n's pov*

"what was that all about?" Asks River.

"He was just telling me that he had to go talk to a friend of his." I explain.

"How come he was telling you?" Asks Gracie.

"Uhh it's a long story" i tell her unsure what to say "his friend is our neighbour so he was just letting me know so we could find him later if we need to."

They all nod, looking a little unconvinced.

"Anyways! Let's play some ball!" Kenny says breaking the awkwardness.

We play for around an hour before all taking a break in the dugout.

"I think i'm going to quickly run to Vincent's drugstore and grab some cokes for us all." Announces Phoebe. "i'll be back in a little while.

"Do you want us to come with you?" I ask.

"No it's okay, you guys rest for a bit." she smiles sweetly before heading off to the drugstore.