Possession: Chapter 8 - The Crooked Path

Early the next morning, the Bounty had arrived back at Steep Wisdom, where the Ninja quickly got to work on setting up traps all around the shop.

Well, everyone except for Katarina. She decided to help Misako and Wu with figuring out the last clue.

She just...she just needed a break. Something to keep her mind off what happened yesterday.

Two clues were crossed out in red ink, while the third one wasn't. Books and papers were scattered about, as she, Misako and Wu looked them over.

"We know the skull represents his tomb." Wu began.

"But from everything that was ever written about it, there's nothing in Ninjago that matches its description. Where is it? The clues are all right here, but what are we missing?" Misako wondered.

"Airjitzu and the Sword of Sanctuary are supposed to help us find his tomb. But how is the question?" Katarina muttered.

"We mustn't give up. If Morro finds it first and takes the Realm Crystal, I'd hate to think what would happen next." Wu said.

Then something rang loudly. "The early-detection warning system!" Katarina got up from her seat and ran outside, summoning her twin daggers.

"Intruder!"

"Let him have it. Pull!"

When she arrived outside, she saw it was the mailman, completely soaked in water. He sighed and shook his head. "No wonder you're going out of business." He handed Kai a letter and walked away.

"No, you're the one going out of business." Jay retorted. "Who sends letters anymore?"

Kai quickly read the letter. "Guys, he's right. It says he's gonna shut us down unless we drum up some business."

"Well, don't tell Ronin. If this place is worthless, he won't stick around and we need all the help we can get. Come on, we're gonna need more water balloons."

Kai sent Katarina a look and a shook of his head that said there was nothing to fear for now. She sighed with relief, and summoned her twin daggers away. She walked back inside the tea shop, head down.

"Who was it?" Misako asked.

"Just the postman." Katarina answered. She picked up her notebook and papers with written notes, putting the loose papers inside.

"Katarina," Misako began. Katarina immediately stopped what she was doing, however she didn't bother facing her so-called mother. She hummed in response.

"How are you feeling? After yesterday?" Misako asked.

Katarina knitted her eyebrows together. "Fine, why do you ask?"

"Because you didn't look like you were doing okay yesterday."

"I was doing fine yesterday, and I'm doing fine now."

Misako racked her brain of getting her daughter to talk about yesterday. "Sweetie, you can talk to me if anything's wrong or bothering you. As your mother-"

"I am not talking to you about yesterday! I said I'm fucking fine, and I mean it!"

Hot tears streamed down her face as she spoke. She was breaking down, that was clear. Her body shook with each word that left her mouth, and her grip around her notebook. She hadn't realized she was yelling until now, which made her feel worse.

But what she also hadn't realized was her eyes glowing purple for a moment before they stopped. Wu narrowed his eyes at this, and quietly hummed.

Misako got up from her seat and moved to Katarina. The moment her hand touched Katarina's face, she slapped it away. "Don't like you care now, because you never have!"