Chapter 102: Kelly Adopts Another Baby Part 1

POV: Kelly Casey-Severide-Herrmann

Once Boden said I can help Engine out while Ritter let his stomach calm down Engine and me ran to their rig. Well I went to Squad 3 and got my Turnout gear and ran to Engine. Once I got on I got my Turnout gear on as we got to the call. Once we got there we went to work.

Hey Engine 51, you guys got a new Candidate? asked someone

Nope, thats Lieutenant Kelly Casey-Severide. Ritter Stomach hurts so Severide is taking his place for now. said Norwood as we got up to the people.

Does anyone have Squad training, we have someone but we cant get to him. said someone

Severide is the Lieutenant of Squad 3. said Kaufman

Good, can you help my Firefighters? said/asked the Captain

Sure, what floor are you guys on? I asked

Tenth floor, right side, by the big Book shelf. said one of the Firefighters and I went up to them.

As I was climbing the stairs I found a small Baby and picked him up. He grabbed onto my shirt, I held him close and zipped my Turnout Coat up. I then ran the rest of the way up to the tenth floor. Once I got there I found the Firefighters and walked over to them.

Hey guys Lieutenant Severide. How is the person stuck? I said/asked

He is stuck so that if we use anything it will kill him. said someone

Here hold the baby, and I can take a look. I said as I gave someone the baby and tried to see the person, but my Coat was in the way so I took it off and moved my radio. I then heard the baby crying but I blocked it out and kept looking to find a way to save the person.

Where did you find him? asked one of the Firefighters

On the stairs. I think I found a way to get to him. I need rope, gauze and tape. I said and they gave me the things I needed. I then lean back down and wrap the persons side and put the tape on the gauze. I then put the rope on him and I get back up and start pulling the person up.

Lieutenant, we have a problem. said one of the Firefighters

What? I asked and I saw the baby still had the umbilical cord attached to him but it had been ripped out. I get the person up and give him to the Firefighters.

What are we going to do? asked another one

We are going to get both down. I will take the Baby you guys get the Person. I said and we got up and started to go down but the fire was coming up.

Captain, the fire is spreading, we are tripped and need to get out. We have a newborn Baby and a mom. Severide, she is bleeding out of her uterus too. said Smith

We cant wait. Get the ladder to the tenth floor right side. Smith, take the baby and wrap my coat around him and run to the ladder. Jones, help me with the mom, Carson, give me that rope. I said and they did as I said. Once I had the rope I tied it to the Mom so that Jones and I could carry her better. I then see Smith coming back with the baby.

Severide, he wont stop crying. said Smith and I took the baby in my arms and he stopped. He then fell asleep and I gave him back to Smith but he just started to cry again. So I took him.

Help Jones, I got the Little Guy. I said and we walked off with Carson right behind us. As we got to the ladder the baby stopped breathing. I got the small medic bag and looked to see what I could use to save him. Once Carson and I got the clips and scissors, we cut the umbilical cord and he started to breathe again. I then felt the fire on my back and I wrapped the Baby Boy back up in my coat and ran to the ladder with Carson behind me. Once we got to the ladder he took his Turnout Coat off and put it on my back and I let him take the baby but he just started to cry.