ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ

Sreedevi

Oh no! What is wrong with him?

I stared Ajay with my hands on my hip, who is playing with a toy gun.

Today I asked him to go to Supermarket to get some essentials but Ajay asked me to come along with him. I was not at all used in going out or shopping like I am really not interested in stepping out of the house. But Ajay literally begged me. He was so stubborn. If I had been more stubborn in staying home, he would have dragged me out of the house in that same old saree, so I myself decided to go with him.

When we stepped out Ajay paused and was acting differently like panicking seeing someone. I realised it was a maid woman of the neighbour house. I have seen her sometimes while going downstairs. She smiles at me often. She stopped before us and started talking to me. I can't understand, she doesn't even know my name, but she is talking to me as if she knows me for ten years. How is it possible?

She said that she asked Ajay to give work for her but it seems Ajay said that I would manage everything. Is he so ashamed to say that he too does the household work?

I understood that if I stand there anymore that lady would take forever to leave us, but Ajay somehow managed to escape us from her.

When we reached the parking, I was confused whether to sit behind or front because I have never sat in the front seat of his car. The only time I travel in his car is when we go to our native but that too, I would be sitting at the back seat so that I can sleep well. Ajay eyed me to sit in the front seat and I obliged.

All the nearby supermarkets were closed. Its the first time I am going out with Ajay. I haven't been to much places in Chennai. All I do is 'school vita veedu, veedu vita school'.

I was looking outside the window admiring the busy boiling city of Chennai while Ajay was driving aimlessly to the supermarket.

I don't know why it takes forever to reach a Supermarket!

Was all that was running on my mind as he drove for almost one hour. Finally we reached a supermarket which was really big. As soon as we entered the supermarket, I took a trolley and roamed my eyes through the market. As I walked through the aisle looking for products, I found a non sticky pan and realised that the pan in our house was old. I turned to ask Ajay but he was missing. I pushed the trolley and moved to the next aisle and saw him on the other end playing with toy guns. I walked towards him and snatched the gun from him.

"Devi enna panra kudu" he tried to get it from me.

A lady with a 10 year old boy with her was staring us wierdly. I kept it back on the rail. I caught his arms and pulled him from there.

"Enna panit irukinga? Chinna pulla mathiri.." I chided him but he seemed to be lost.

I frowned at him who was staring my hands that was around his right arm. I left his hand and cleared my throat. I moved forward and took the pan and showed him.

"Ithu epdi irukku? Vaangalama?"

He took the pan from my hands and examined it. He walked forward and checked all the other pans in the display. He took one from there.

"Ithu konjam better mathiri theriyuth la?"

I took it from him and checked the quality of the pan. I nodded at him. He put that pan on the trolley and pushed it walking forward. I stood there simply staring him checking what he was doing. He was looking around the market pushing the trolley but stopped and turned to check me. He raised his eyebrows asking why I was standing still. I chuckled and joined him.