ꜰɪꜰᴛʏ ɴɪɴᴇ

Ajay

The last thing I wanted was to deal with a person in death bed.

Why would something like this happen to me every single time? I dont know whom to blame. Radha paati or the fate? Since the day we kissed, I have been waiting for this day, and when it finally came, fate played over it. I banged on the steering wheel driving towards Apollo Hospital.

I am upset about missing our first night but more than that I am worried of Sreedevi who might have expected and got disappointed. My parents are also on their way and I have no idea when they are gonna leave. I hope radha paati would survive.

It would be hard for mom. I have heard that mom was closer to radha paati as her own mother died when she was very young and it was radha paati who brought her up. I picked up my phone and searched for Renjini chithi's (her daughter) number. She picked up in a few rings. Her voice was hoarse. I asked her at which block she was admitted.

Parking the car in the lot, I walked to the block. Renjini chithi was sitting there wiping her tears while her husband sat beside her comforting her. As soon as they saw me, her husband came forward and held my hands. He explained to me how critical her condition was. There was only very less minute chance for her to survive.

I waited there with them outside the ICU. I called Sreedevi but she didn't pick up the call. She might have fell asleep. I leaned back to the seat and closed my eyes. I didn't realize I fell asleep until somebody shook my shoulders to wake me up. I woke up in a jerk and saw my mother sitting beside me along with chithi and crying. She informed me that paati has passed away. I saw my dad and chithappa talking to the doctor, maybe about the formalities. I assume chithappa might have picked them from railway station. I checked the time, it was 5:45 am already. I was hell tired I guess, I slept really long. I hugged my mom and comforted her. Once she calmed a little, I walked to dad. He patted my shoulders and moved to my mom.

"Ajay nee appa amma va kootit veetuk po.. En thambi ipo varuvaan naa paathukuren" Chithappa said.

"Illa chithappa athu..." I hesitated.

"Naa pathukren ajay.. Anni romba tired ah irukanga.. Poyi rest edukatum"

He was right. Mom and dad were tired. I should take them home.

"Chithappa what about the formalities?"

"Naa pathukren.. I'll let you know ajay.. Relatives ku ellam inform pannanum.. I'll take care about it.. You carry on.. Naa call pandren unak" he said.

"Okay chithappa" I said and walked to my parents. Mom has stopped crying now but dad was rubbing her arms and consoling her.

"Appa veetuk polaama?" I asked my dad.

Mom looked up at me and then Renjini chithi.

"Poyit rest edunga ka... Tired ah iruppinga" Chithi said.

My mom nodded and they stood up. I told chithi to take care and walked down the block along with my parents. It was almost 6:30 in the morning. My apartment was far away from the hospital. It took more than an hour to reach home. I was getting late for office also. I rang the calling bell. Sreedevi opened the door a min later. She just woke up.

"Vaanga aunty.. Vaanga uncle" she immediately welcomed my parents.

Mom patted her cheeks smiling weakly. She smiled back. Dad touched her head. Mom sat on the couch while dad pulled the luggage inside. My mom looked around the house. Its been one and a half year since they came here.

"Appa antha room la vachurunga" I said pointing the guest room. He nodded and dragged the luggages to that room. I walked to our bedroom and devi followed me.