ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛy ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ

April 18, 2019

Sreedevi

Oh my god

All I could see as I open the bathroom door to exit, is my husband's face in a really close proximity. He was about to knock the door I guess, but I don't care because I can't breathe. He is neither moving nor breathing, he is stuck, he is frozen, his gaze is fixed on my face while I crush the dress in my hands. His eyes roam around my face. My stomach churn and millions and trillions of butterflies erupt inside me under his intense gaze.

I take a close look on his face. He has a neatly trimmed beard and an ever captivating brown eyes. He has a mole on his neck which I have noticed eleven years ago. It is still beautiful just how it was back then. I wonder how something..something really small be so beautiful on a person's body.

I look back at his eyes, they are staring my lips now.

My breath hitched and the loud thud of my beats echoed in my ears. His eyes move up. Why is this moment running so slow as if somebody has switched on the slow motion mode. He suddenly moved back and cleared his throat.

I took a step back and looked everywhere but him.

"Naa.. Naa.. Umm.. Naa kulichit varen" he blabbers and rushes inside the bathroom.

I stood before the mirror and looked at myself. I had just bathed and my hair is tied with a towel and my cheeks are painted with a deep red shade under the water droplets.

I am blushing. I am blushing after years. Only he can make me blush. Only Ajay Dev can.

I smiled widely and blushed without hiding it. I feel good when I blush. I look beautiful. I touch my cheeks to check if the pink would disappear. It doesn't.

I throw the dress in the laundry basket and untie the towel in my head patting my hair to dry. All I could see is his eyes so close. I have never been in such a close proximity with any other man in all these 26 years. It was him. It was him always. It was him in 2008. It is him in 2019.

It would be him in 2030 also.

I put my hair to dry and go out giving him privacy to change. I descend the stairs and walk to the couch and sit beside Appa. He smiles at me. I remove his glasses and put it on my eyes. I always do that. I love doing it. My dad laughs and pats my head.

"Asif Madurai poyitan da" he says.

"Mm theriyum pa.. Pona varam kooptu sonnan"

"Apdiya.. Seri.. Sapdulaya? Jay enga?"

"Kulichit irukaru pa" I say and dad nods.

"Deviiii" Mom yells from the kitchen.

Its been a while since I heard this yell. My day would neither end nor start without hearing this yell of hers until I got married.

"Varen ma" I went to the kitchen. She is preparing dosa. "Enna ma?"

She glances me "Enna enna ma? Maharani vela ethuvum seyya matingalo?"

I sigh. "Enna pannanum?"

"Antha chutney ara" she orders pouring another dosa. She glance me again "Mudi enna virich potu vanthurka?"