Ch. 3 - The Whole Beautiful Story

The first few weeks of class went smoothly... for most. Selene's classes were comparable to a train wreck. Every class was spent in whispers and stares, and she felt like nothing she said was being listened to.

After one particularly bad class, Selene had her head down on her desk, internally groaning, when someone approached her desk.

"Please let this be an Astronomy-related question," Selene muttered into her desk.

"I take this as a sign that things are not going well on your end," a voice said.

Selene picked her head up quickly. "Professor McGonagall?"

Professor McGonagall was standing before her in her usual emerald-green robes, looking at her somewhat sympathetically. "How many times have I told you that it is perfectly acceptable to call me Minerva, Selene. We are peers now, far from student and teacher."

"Right, sorry Prof–Minerva." Selene said sheepishly.

The professor merely looked at her. "I came to check in on your first few weeks of classes, but I can see that an explanation may not be necessary."

Even since her years as a student at Hogwarts, Selene had been taken under Minerva McGonagall's wing, despite not even being in Gryffindor. Perhaps it was because Selene was a relatively good Transfiguration student, or maybe because all of her friends were in Gryffindor – or, perhaps, it was because McGonagall knew a little of what was hiding behind closed doors in Selene's life, and she pitied her.

No matter the reason, Selene had taken a shine to McGonagall as well, barging into her office at unworthy times to talk Quidditch, or complain about her Marauder friends, and the professor would listen, only pretending to be irritated with Selene's interruptions.

The tradition didn't stop when Selene became a professor herself. The older woman always came in to check on her younger protégé, and Selene felt that she could always confide in her.

Selene sighed, resting her head in her hand. "Students are just too curious, and who knows what their parents are telling them at home. They spend the entire classes either whispering about me or staring at me, and I'm positive no one's paying attention to a word I say."

Professor McGonagall pursed her lips. "Welcome to the world of teaching."

"Tell me about it."

The professor changed the subject. "I thought I'd let you know that your godson has attended his first Divination class."

Selene looked at her oddly. "I'm assuming that's not the end of the story?"

McGonagall shook her head. "It seems that Mr. Potter is Professor Trelawney's chosen student for the year to pick on."

"Oh, poor Harry," Selene groaned. "Was he totally freaked out?"

"He may have been at first, but I managed to put him at ease," the professor said. "Most of the students in his class were shaken up."

"That doesn't surprise me. What an old fraud." Selene muttered irritably.

"Don't get me started." McGonagall said, raising an eyebrow. She started to move towards to classroom door. "Now, if you'll excuse me, my next class is starting soon."

"Okay! Thanks for the update, Minerva," Selene said brightly.

As she reached the door, she paused and turned back around. "Oh, I thought I'd also let you know that your nephew has also been taken to the hospital wing."

Selene blinked. "For what?"

"It seems he managed to anger a hippogriff," McGonagall said.

Selene groaned.