Ch. 29 - The Blacks Reunite

In the days after the second task, Selene tried to breathe a little, knowing that it would just be a matter of time before the third and final task would be upon them.

The arrival of a letter, albeit a very short one, made things a little easier, reviving Selene and giving her a little something to look forward to.

Be at stile at end of road out of Hogsmeade (past Dervish and Banges) at two o'clock on Saturday afternoon. Bring as much food as you can.

"He hasn't come back to Hogsmeade?" Ron said incredulously.

"It looks like it, doesn't it?" Hermione said.

"I can't believe him," Harry said tensely, "if he's caught..."

"He'll be alright..." Selene said uneasily, the tinge of worry in her stomach being overcome with a much stronger feeling of excitement.

"Made it so far, at least, hasn't he?" Ron said. "And it's not like the place is swarming with dementors anymore."

Selene nodded.

Obviously, there was reason to be careful, but things were different now, and she hadn't seen Sirius in person since last June. She was, therefore, cautiously excited for the Hogsmeade trip at the end of that week.

Thankfully, it arrived somewhat promptly, and on that Saturday afternoon, she awaited Harry, Ron, and Hermione in Hogsmeade, a bag of food clutched in her hand.

They were right on time, and it seemed that they had also brought Sirius a plentiful meal, or as much as they could carry, at least, without looking suspicious.

Together, they walked to the end of the road, where a large black dog was waiting for them patiently, a roll of newspapers in its mouth.

"Hiya, Padfoot," Selene said quietly, grinning at the dog.

He sniffed them eagerly, smelling the food they had brought him, and immediately began to lead them away from the road, towards the foot of the mountain.

The dog led them up the rocks, climbing the mountain, and in the heat of the newly warm weather, they trekked up the mountain, moving quietly for at least half an hour.

Just when Selene was about to comment on the unexpected exercise that they were partaking in, they reached a fissure in the rock that Sirius the dog squeezed his way through. Harry exchanged a glance with Selene, and one after the other, they pushed their way through as well, followed by Ron and Hermione.

They were met with the sight of Buckbeak, the hippogriff, and Sirius, now a human again, who was dressed in the same grey Azkaban robes they had last seen him in. His hair was no longer short and clean, but matted and dirty, and Sirius himself was very skinny.

Selene dimly noted this, but the sight of her friend and husband overwhelmed her with joy.

"Sirius," she said, running to meet him. He caught her in his arms, grinning broadly.

"Hello, love," he said warmly.

Selene gripped him around the neck, allowing him to kiss the top of her head gently. "You're too skinny," she said, her voice coming out muffled in his chest.

"I assume you brought what I asked for?" Sirius said, laughing. At the sight of the bag of food in Harry's hands, his eyes lit up. "Chicken!"

He let go of Selene and grabbed the bag that Harry handed him. He pulled out a bundle of bread and chicken legs, grinning.

"Thanks," he said, sitting on the cave floor and tearing a piece of chicken off with his teeth. "I've been living off rats mostly. Can't steal too much food from Hogsmeade; I'd draw attention to myself."