Ch. 31 - The Third Task

It did only begin to get weirder from there. As the beginning of the hotter months of the year brought the end of the school year, Selene felt she was being buried in exams and essays and homework, trying to teach and grade everything before classes ended for the year. Because of this, she was afraid that she was neglecting Harry.

Harry had been keeping his nose clean for the most part, due to an aggravated letter he had received from Sirius – "He doesn't have any room to talk, Selene, after everything you've told me about what he got up to at school!" – although he was becoming very annoyed about all of the pressure that was being placed upon him.

Selene could only offer up support, but she feared she couldn't do much to make him feel any better, especially with the third task approaching.

Plus, it didn't make things any better with the dreams Harry had been having.

When Harry had told her about it, he'd already gone to Dumbledore. Despite her dislike of Dumbledore, Selene was glad he'd done this, because she knew that Dumbledore probably knew the most on this subject. It was intriguing to her particularly about his curse scar. The fact that it was Harry's connection between himself and Voldemort confirmed something for Selene... she just didn't know what yet.

Selene also couldn't help but stare at Harry, appalled, when he told her about everything he had seen in the Pensieve.

The most troubling thing he'd told her was not about Karkaroff, or Bagman, but about Barty Crouch's son.

Selene didn't remember hearing much about this in the Prophet back then, mainly because by that point, she had removed herself so far out of the limelight that she wasn't getting news about much of anything. Therefore, it surprised her greatly to hear that when Barty Crouch Jr. had been taken in by the Ministry, he had been alongside Bellatrix Lestrange and a few other Death Eaters deep in Voldemort's inner circle.

"Really?" Selene said, shocked. "That's who he was with?"

Harry nodded.

"I-I can't believe that," Selene said. "That suggests that maybe he wasn't just some idiot hanging out with the wrong people, Harry. Those people were close to Voldemort."

Harry's eyes widened. "Seriously?"

"Yeah," Selene said. "Maybe he was a bit deeper in then we previously thought."

"But he's dead," Harry said.

Selene frowned. This was true. She didn't see how he was connected to all this at all, of course, but for some reason, this piece of information stuck out to her. Apparently it had to Dumbledore, too, and Selene found she couldn't quite move past that either.

Why was he looking at that particular memory? Selene thought. Was it just because it was connected Crouch? Or was it something more?

Regardless, Selene figured she'd have to ponder more on it later. The third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament was upon them. Selene was thoroughly grateful that the end was near, and she could see the back of this whole ridiculous event.

"I bet they've put a sphinx in the maze."

"You think so?" Selene asked interestedly.

They had finally reached the morning of the third task, and Molly and Bill had come up to the castle to watch and support Harry alongside Selene. They were sitting in an unused chamber in the castle with the families of the other champions, waiting to greet Harry. He didn't know that Molly and Bill had come to see him.

"Yeah," said Bill. "You know they'll be pulling out all of the stops for this final task, and I had heard rumors in Egypt about them importing a magical creature into Scotland. I just assumed it was a sphinx."