Ch. 83 - Wedding Plans

Selene's POV

Getting called to the headmaster's office made Selene feel like a little girl again, in trouble for doing something silly like shaving her best friend's head on April Fool's Day. An oddly specific reference, but she'd had experience. Poor Sirius.

"Professor Black?"

She had reached the stone gargoyle guarding the entrance to the headmaster's office. It was regarding her with an imperious look, its eyes narrowed at her appraisingly.

"The headmaster is expecting you."

Selene nodded wearily as the gargoyle stepped aside, revealing a large set of double doors. Selene raised her hand and knocked.

"Come in," a quiet voice called from inside.

In she went.

"Ah, Professor Black, how nice of you to join us."

Selene stared around in wide-eyed surprise.

Dubmedore was sitting behind his desk, looking serene in a set of lilac-coloured robes, his blue eyes sparkling from behind his half-moon shaped spectacles. His hand was still withered and black, however, marring the whole image.

Sitting across from him were Kingsley Shacklebolt, and – to her surprise – Remus.

She shot him a questioning look, to which he just shrugged.

"I hear a congratulations are in order," Dumbledore said, smiling at Selene as she sat down primly in the empty chair between Remus and Kingsley. "I must say, your engagement is an event that is not entirely unexpected."

"That's for sure," Kingsley said, chuckling.

Selene blushed, her eyes flickering over to Remus, who was smiling modestly.

"Thank you," they chorused together.

"A much-anticipated event, too, I'm sure," Dumbledore went on. "A welcome spark of light amidst so much darkness."

"I certainly hope so," Selene said, shifting slightly in her seat.

Dumbledore smiled.

"I suppose you're wondering why I've asked you here," he said, regarding her amusedly. "Kinglsey, Remus, and I were discussing a few things for the Order, and I had something specific to bring up, but I wanted to make sure you were here to hear it."

"Well, I'm here then," Selene said, raising her pale eyebrows. "What's so important?"

Remus' eyes flashed, but he didn't say a word. Selene knew he disapproved of how she typically handled conversations with Dumbledore.

"Selene, do you remember our deal that we made just over two years ago?" Dumbledore asked serenely, his gaze directed towards the ceiling.

She did, of course. The deal that was meant to keep Harry's best interests in mind.

"You mean the deal that you broke almost immediately?" Selene asked in a hardened tone, her hands clenching into fists. "That one?"

"Selene," Remus hissed warningly, his eyes wide, but Dumbledore raised a hand to silence him.

"No, Remus," Dumbledore said. "I'm flattered at how often you come to my defense at the expense of the love you feel for Selene, but now, I am counting on her anger."

Selene blinked confusedly. "You – you are?"

"Yes," Dumbledore nodded seriously. "Now if you'll remember our deal, I hope you'll understand that I've tried my very best to honour it, regardless of whether my means were up to your standards or not."