Chapter 24 : A Mastermind's Conquered Lands

Shig was in the hospital bed. He was looking down at his hands trying to become a werebeast again. But he failed. Ume walked inside the room and walked up to Shig.
-Une- «Shig-Kun… is everything alright…»
-Shig- «Ume… do you consider myself lucky for surviving…»
-Ume- «I do yeah… I mean you were confronted by the gods and Aoi you should be happy you’re in one piece I believe»
-Shig- «What if I told you I don’t think the same way…»
-Ume- «What’s your point?»
-Shig- «Ume… I wish I was dead. I am not fortunate to have survived. I wish to have been killed at that moment there»
-Ume- «What are you talking about are you nuts?! You can’t be serious you barely survived and you’re still fine now stop crying! Don’t be ungrateful of the life Archive gave you!»
-Shig- «I don’t remember asking him to waste one on me»
Ume slapped him.
-Ume- «You fucking idiot! Quit your bullshit and get your ass back up! I know you can you’re stronger than anyone I’ve ever met!»
Tears fell down Shig’s face.
-Shig- «Ume… I can’t get up… I can’t… I… I… can’t get up… I… the reason I loved my ability so much and fought so much with it is because it’s the reason I could walk… I couldn’t walk… I could never have hoped to walk. But one dya. I was 5 years old and I saw how I could manipulate my body into animals or animal hybrids. I managed to keep my spine in check but… without my ability… I can’t walk… I’m… I’m crippled for life Ume… my body can’t move it’s legs…»
-Ume- «You… you what? You’re crippled…»
-Shig- «Yeah… the way j am now I could never hope to walk again… without my ability I’m nothing. I’m not like Archive. And I’m not like Kumiko… I’m not smart. I’m not cunning. I’m a fucking idiot. Without it I am worthless. A burden. I am nothing… Ume… what’s my purpose… I can’t even… think properly right now…»
Shig started to sob and cry. Ume felt bad for Shig. She went ahead and hugged him.
-Ume- «Don’t you call yourself a burden… you’re very important. You’re very important to me… Shig don’t you forget that… you idiot…»
Ume stayed with Shig in the medical wing for hours straight.
It was very nice if her to be by his side. Other than Shig’s injury everything else was going smoothly. Everything was going well. Maybe a little too well. But it wasn’t something to worry about. When you succeed you must take it all in you and relax. Enjoy success.
We were all doing our best to keep tracking then but we had lost sight of Aoi and the gods. It’s like they weren’t even going for these ancient monuments anymore. It was weird. We’d expect to find them no matter what action they would have taken. Especially with all this equipment we had.
Something didn’t feel quite right. And then my suspicions were confirmed. We say a flash of light go through the room from the window. It was a picture. A picture was taken. And we still had Mitsuo’s corpse in our living room. No one thought to hide it since we were all worried about Shig. I opened the window and I saw one of the gods. Fumio on one of these ladders helicopters have. I grabbed a gun and began staking shits but they were too far away. They had already traveled a huge distance so not even our defense protocols wouldn’t reach. And I’m sure they didn’t work because he must’ve hacked then or something. No if that was the case we’d be shit. Then it must’ve been am electromagnetic wave. Weirdly enough ti didn’t affect the radar me and Archive were working on. Just the weapons. I ran outside the mansion and took a private jet I had. I began flying and approaching the. Taking shots as I was slowly getting closer. Fumio had already entered the helicopter. And my bullets weren’t hitting them because of his ability. I wouldn’t do anything. Nothing at all. So I flew back to the mansion as fast as possible. After landing the plane I jumped down and started running towards everyone. These people already have enough proof to send all of us to jail forever and whilst this might not seem so bad at first it would mean losing all of our money, equipment and we would also have the cops on our asses. I went in and tried to warn everyone. I managed to warn them but outside police sirens started to echoe…
-???- «Asano Usegi, Hagatsuma Kumiko, Archive Vinogradov, Toma Shig, Shiro Shiro, Umemoto Ume you are all under arrest for the murder of the over fifty thousend lost people seven years ago! We have you surrounded. Get outside with your hands in the air!»
No way… Aoi managed to frame is for the central cumminity too?! That was very bad. If we were caught the worst case scenario is the death penalty!
We were surrounded and even if we escaped we would still be hunted down by both the police and Aoi. We are gonna have to live as criminals… and that’s only if we manage to escape. I tried thinking about it and I couldn’t find a way for us to escape. Everyone was panicking and we were lost.
I was in utter dispair but at the very last moment my assistant… Anna gave us a small opportunity.
-Me- «Anna what are you…»
-Anna- «Ma’am… I know you’re not evil. I know you’re crazy and possible in need of medication… bit you’re not evil. I managed to get the police to go to go hunt you over to another direction. Come with me!»
Everyone felt happy for a moment but I could tell. Anna was lying. Archive could tell too.
-Me- «Anna… why don’t you tell me what are you doing here…»
-Anna- «I’m yelling you I am trying to save you!»
Apart from her lying face she was holding back tears. She didn’t seem to enjoy it so it was definite I shouldn’t believe word she said.
-Me- «Anna, I’m sorry»
I shot a paralyze dart on Anna and she yelled before passing out on the floor. I had a small idea on where we could’ve run the police was getting close so we all started running.
-Ume- «No! Wait! Shig! Shig is still back there!»
-Kumiko H- «We don’t have time red-head! Let’s go!»
Ume cried, her hand stretched out towards the medical wing. Kumiko had to pick her up and take her away. We kept running and reached an outside of the mansion. One where no one can exactly see so the police wasn’t there. But they were behind us. I pressed a button quickly which was supposed to open the floor and get a plane here for us. But the electromagnetic waves stopped it from activating. We had reached a dead end. The police was slowly coming closer. The footsteps we could hear coming closer and the entrance which we entered from froze. Then we saw Paghos from over the roof. As he was up there he was shit and fell down on our side but Kumiko catched him. We didn’t have much time any longer and Archive was about to use his last merit point but then Paghos stabbed a syringe in him and took Archive blood.
-Me- «Paghos what are you?...»
-Paghos- «Listen. I don’t care for you as much. But. If I run away I won’t see my sister again. She can at east visit me in prison. And she really really loves superheroes. So I’m going to let all of you get away» he said stabbing the syringe in him. «Schrödinger’s cat! Merit! Teleportation outside of the country!»
Everything started getting blurry and Paghos was coughing a lot of blood. A helicopter of the police came and that’s all we saw.
Paghos was grabbed by these people and didn’t fight because even if he killed a few by freezing them. He’d be shot if he tried to harm them. Paghos was arrested.
We teleports somewhere in the ocean without knowing where we were. Back then it was day but right now it was night. We weren’t freezing so we weren’t in the south side of the earth. We didn’t know where we were at all but we could see a piece of land. We started swimming as fast as we could. We were swimming for half an hour but we kept on swimming. And after a while we reached land. None of us were able to catch our breaths. Apart from Hagatsuma-San maybe because she’s a beast what the hell. We spent the night on the sand of the beach which we had swam to. And the next day we started walking in a straight line. We were hungry and tired. Whilst w ekeot on walking we reached an outskirt of a city. The houses were poorly made and after trying to look around a liitled but more. I understood which country we were in. It was Brazil. Everyone was speaking Portuguese.
Aoi… that bastard he… he tricked us. He must’ve gotten Mitsuo back too… we also lost Paghos and we left… Toma Shig behind.