A8 C234: The Lord Has Someone in Mind

Only Baili Duyue and Sang Feiwan could freely enter and exit the mysterious candlelit hall. Now that the painting in the box was destroyed, Sang Feiwan was the first suspect. Watching Baili Duyue scold the servants through the curtain, Sang Feiwan couldn't help but feel a pang of anxiety.

What to do?

Sang Feiwan's first instinct was to pretend to sleep again, but that wouldn't solve anything. Unconsciously furrowing his brows, he lightly tapped his knee with his fingertips, thinking he mustn't let Baili Duyue find out he was the one who burned the painting, or else...

Huh?

Sang Feiwan suddenly realized something was off. He didn't burn the painting; it was Baili Duyue himself. Why was he getting nervous for no reason? He was worrying needlessly.

Closing his eyes and rubbing his face, Sang Feiwan thought his intelligence must have been dulled by Baili Duyue. Otherwise, why would he do something stupid like taking the blame?

He dressed quickly, lifted the curtain, and walked out. He saw Baili Duyue berating the palace guards with a dark expression, his aura oppressive. "A bunch of useless people! You didn't even notice thieves sneaking into the sleeping quarters. What's the use of keeping you around!"

After his tirade, Baili Duyue exhaled slowly, massaging his temples with his fingertips, his eyes closed as he spoke with gritted teeth, "Take them all away, gouge out their eyes, and flay their skin."

The guards of the sleeping quarters were horrified at his words. The punishment of skinning alive was terrifying. They had seen many examples in Azure Capital City, all of them horrifyingly real. Who could endure such a thing? They all begged for mercy, prostrating themselves:

"Lord, spare us! Spare us! We only seek death, please have mercy!"

Compared to the cruelty of skinning, even beheading had become a luxury.

But Baili Duyue showed no signs of mercy, whether it was the burned painting or the infiltration of spies into the heavily guarded sleeping quarters, both infuriated him enough.

Sang Feiwan saw the guards about to be dragged away and timely walked out from the inner room. He pretended not to know what was happening, looking surprised as he watched the scene unfold. Then he walked up to Baili Duyue, voicing his confusion, "Why is the lord so angry?"

Baili Duyue, who had been trying to calm his anger with closed eyes, paused imperceptibly upon hearing Sang Feiwan's voice. He opened his eyes and looked at Sang Feiwan, his cold tone finally softening a bit, "You're awake?"

At the same time, he discreetly closed the golden wooden box next to him, covering up the burnt painting inside, seeming reluctant to let Sang Feiwan see it.

Sang Feiwan nodded, "I just woke up and heard the lord's anger outside. Could it be that thieves entered the sleeping quarters, and the lord lost something important?”

Baili Duyue's words were vague, "It's nothing important, just a painting."

Sang Feiwan's gaze swept over the guards kneeling below, "Since it's nothing important, a small punishment from the lord is enough. I am a kind-hearted person, I can't stand bloodshed, sigh..."

He finished speaking with a slight frown, sighed, and began to pretend again.

Baili Duyue didn't suspect Sang Feiwan at all. He had placed a prohibition on the box, making it difficult to open easily. Sang Feiwan, being a mere mortal, couldn't possibly open such a thing.

In other words, the person who could open the box must be an expert among experts. If this person infiltrated the royal city, the guards in the outer hall naturally couldn't stop them.