S02 Chapter 05 The Competition

The announcement of the competition was made in the village. Everyone was eager to know who loved the Queen most. The brothers were under pressure to prove themselves.

"Husbands," Dhani came to them impatiently.

"What am I hearing? Are you all going hunting?"

"Yes," Mithun replied.

"But, why? All Of a sudden?"

"Beloved Queen of the subjects, it's a competition. Whoever hunts down the strongest animal will be considered the one who loves you the most," Kalighat's Chief said to her.

Her husbands looked at her and affirmed it.

"Why? I know you all love me with all your hearts devoted to me," she said while looking at them.

Dhani was unhappy and worried. They were going to hunt wild animals in the jungle. The thought of it scared her.

"There may even be demons in the jungle," she exclaimed.

"Don't worry. No animal or demon can defeat your husbands," Aatreya assured her.

"Think of it just like a game. We have played many games like this when we were kids," Mithun said and smiled.

The brothers nodded.

"Still, you don't have to..." she was saying when Aatreya cut her in the middle.

"We will be back soon."

Everyone was excited about it except for her. The brothers prepared their weapons. Aatreya decided to take an ordinary spear with him. Following him, Bali and Mithun also took only ordinary weapons as it would be only fair for the younger Princes.

"Let me put out the rules once more," Kalighat's Chief said.

"The one who hunts down the biggest, wildest and strongest animal among you before the sun sets will be considered the winner. The animal should be mightier than you and not a weakling. That's how it would be proved that you are capable of overpowering them."

"Hail His Highness!" "Hail the Princes!"

The brothers sat on their horses each and marched with speed towards the forest area on the north side of the village. The luxuriant forest was spread from the west end of Naimisharan to Kalighat and Pipli.

Like lightning, the horses crossed the Pampa River from its shallow area. Prince Aanan's horse was going much faster than the rest. There was no horseman better than him. He was the first one to enter the forest.

When he entered the forest, his eyes started searching for the mightiest animal there.

The others followed behind him and disappeared into the forest one by one. They went in different directions.

The mightiest animal is the king of the jungle. That's what they say. But, a tiger is by far stronger than a lion. It is a known fact. Thus, Prince Mithun decided to hunt a tiger.

He ran his horse into the jungle following the fresh footprints of a tiger. His bows and arrows were in his hands ready to shoot it down.