Chapter 34: Near Escape

Its soulless yellow eyes pierced through the darkness of space as its deadly claws latched onto the outside of the pod. As every moment passes, my heart rate rapidly increases, watching its claws dig deeper into the pod.

Y/N: "Is anyone there? Shiro? Coran? Anyone?" I slam the communication button in anger, fear erupting inside me. The thought of the monster breaking the only thing between me and death blocking rational thoughts

ALLURA: "Y/N? Is that you?"

Y/N: "Princess! I need a wormhole now!"

ALLURA: "Hold on, I'm opening a wormhole to your coordinates!"

A wormhole opens and I slam on the boosters, desperately trying to get rid of the monster. The monster still stares unwavering through the pod, its blood thirsty look striking me with more fear.

ALLURA: "Y/N, I can't hold the wormhole for much longer!"

Y/N: "I need some time!"

Fear overcomes my emotions, my fight instinct taking over; eyes burning red I stare into the monster's eyes. It looks back at me, fear consuming it's expression as it teleports in a blur away. I hurry towards the wormhole, barely making it through before it closes.

Y/N: "Phew..."

I land roughly next to the castle of lions, on the glistening surface of the Balmera. I stumble out of the battered pod, hauling the materials out. Walking onto the shining surface, a feeling of relief overwhelms me, escaping that strange monster, nearly dying. Not fun.

ALLURA: "Y/N, are you- you're injured! What happened?" She runs over to me, I place the materials on the ground carefully, looking down at the open wound on my chest.

Y/N: "I'm all good, just nearly died."

ALLURA: "What did this? The bases were supposed to be abandoned."
Y/N: "One of the bases wasn't unoccupied. A huge monster had taken it as a good place to sneak up on people and attack them."

ALLURA: "Let's get you inside, that doesn't look too good." I follow her up the large, sparkling staircase and onto the bridge.

Y/N: "How are the others doing?"

ALLURA: "I haven't heard from Keith and Hunk yet but the others are on their way."
Y/N: "I heard from Keith not long ago, they should be back soon too."

ALLURA: "Good, we're one step closer to defeating Zarkon." She grabs a medical kit from under a seat, finding some bandages and strange Altean ointment.

Y/N: "Thanks Allura." I take them, beginning to dab at my wound with the ointment, stinging with every touch.

ALLURA: "I should be thanking you for getting those materials. Now it's time for me to get a big enough crystal."

Y/N: "Good luck." She walks out and onto the Balmera. My wound hurts less with every dab of ointment. I wrap it in bandages, and walk out onto the surface to find the Princess doing the special rejuvenation ceremony.

SHAY: "Of what was that rumble? Perhaps because a crystal this big has never been asked for."
GRANDMOTHER: "No, this is something different."

SHAY: "Shall we stop the ceremony?"

GRANDMOTHER: "Let her finish."

ALLURA: "Thank you." She lifts herself from the ground, I hold onto her arm so she doesn't fall from fatigue.

Y/N: "That was amazing, Princess."

The balmerans deliver the crystal to the castle, Allura regaining her strength. A deep rumbling echoes throughout the Balmera, shaking the surface immensely.