ᴄ ʜ ᴀ ᴘ ᴛ ᴇ ʀ - ᴛ ᴡ ᴇ ɴ ᴛ ʏ ᴏ ɴ ᴇ

"You are my sunshine, 

My only sunshine

You make me happy,

When skies are gray

You'll never know dear,

How much I love you

Please don't take...

my sunshine...

away..."

~oOo~

The sun was brightly shining overhead as a mother hummed this tune to her five year old daughter. She had dark blonde hair that turned gold in the sunlight, and green eyes that betrayed none of her inner thoughts. Her daughter sat on her lap, holding dandelions in her hand she picked out of their yard. 

"Bring pretty flowers to Mommy because she is just as beautiful." Her father had told her with a bright smile. He worked in the yard, trying to set up a new fence in place of the old, rusted, metal one. Her mother reached over to fix her hair, it was a difficult thing to get tame. She took after her Grandmother no doubt in the hair department, the slightly wavy strands that were seen even at the time of her birth. 

"Hey Mommy? Can we put the flowers on the table?"  She asked with wide eyes, her hands staining yellow from the petals. Her mother smiled, looking over to her husband who gave her a cheeky thumbs up, holding up his other arm to see her youngest strapped in her carrier. After she told the girl okay, she was off like a bolt of lightening, her tiny feet pattering on the hard-wood floor in anticipation. 

The mother followed suit, and kept watch as her daughter pulled over a chair, and reached up to the shelves to grab a cup, before clumsily adding water into it, and then proudly placing it in the center. Her mom clapped enthusiastically at the accomplished task, and her daughter ran over to hug her legs, then looked back up pointing at the door.

"Mommy, Daddy said we could go see Granny today! I want to go get cherries from the tree!" 

The mother seemed to have a slight apprehension to the notion, but patted her daughter's back and gave a nod. The girl giggled and dashed off gripping the edges of her pink summer-dress, giving a single twirl as she exited the door, leaving it open much to her mother's chagrin. The mom walked over and touched the side of the door and observed as her child ran out into the grass, and chatted endlessly with her father who allowed her to try and pick up a hammer.