4.1

CHAPTER ONE

Welcome to Kamar-Taj

- - - - -

HIMALAYAS, SOUTHERN ASIA

She had hit the ground. The cold, wet ground. She didn't have time to prepare for landing. Her chute had been ripped from the sharp branches of the trees that now surrounded her like a cage. She was breathing. Her chest hurt with each rise and fall. She definitely broke a few ribs on impact. Along with an ankle sprain, dislocated shoulder and her dignity.

Delicately lifting her hand, Ana groaned when she felt the pop of her shoulder. The monitor on her wrist was fizzing and crackling. It had been damaged. Snow littered around her as she stared at the swaying trees above. Her lips were turning blue, pink tongue darting out to dampen them. She mentally yelled at herself. How could I be so stupid, she thought, it would have been smarter to just pick Brazil.

Despite being in a hell of pain, she sat up and dragged herself to the base of the evergreen trees where her bag and chute fell to. She faced the trunk and took a couple of deep breaths before forcing her shoulder into it and popping the joint back in its place.

Once she soothed most of the pain away, she wrapped herself in the chute and rested on her bag. Her tablet was in her hands and it was working, there was just no service. The best thing you could do is to play music. And playing her collection of Beyoncé albums wasn't going to get her help.

"At least the wolves aren't around."

She let out a breath, curling underneath the chute. Just then a loud animal noise echoed through the forest. She pursed her lips. Excellent timing.

Ana squinted her eyes, spotting a blotch of black fur in the distance. It was hiding behind a batch of trees, its stance low. She began to fumble for the flares she knew were always inside a parachute. Wolves didn't like fire.

She strapped on her bag and used the trunk behind her to help her stand. Her sore arm was wrapped loosely around her torso and she popped the flare when it started approaching.

It growled at her, it's next meal. She hardened her face and waved the red fire in front of it, threatening it. It stepped back, before amping up its vicious growl, snarling its teeth at her.

"Seriously, bub, I'm not in the mood." She said with her own growl. "Get lost!"

Two more rounded up from the sides and Ana's flare was put out. She popped the last one and waved it, circling around the tree carefully. If she had to run, she would. She didn't want to be eaten by a bunch of wolves.

They started to whimper and cower away. Ana laughed. "That's right! Go home and don't come back!" She boasted, throwing the flare at the retrieving figures. She clenched her teeth when a spark of pain shot throughout her chest.

She let out a puff of air. Then a strange feeling made the hairs on her neck stand up. A chill travelled down her spine and she turned. She was jumped by a wolf. It was larger and stronger than the others. Her hands came up to block her face from it's chomping teeth.

Ana fell back with a yell and hit her head against the base of the tree. She gripped the jaw with her nimble hands, forcing them apart. Drool and blood dropped onto her suit. She closed her eyes, silently praying for the wolves to disappear so she could catch a break.

She could faintly hear footsteps running and thought it was more wolves. But then a flash of gold invaded her sight and the teeth digging into her hands was pulled away and the wolf flew back. It whimpered like a puppy, legs flailing in the air as it travelled to the other side of the mountain.