4.6

CHAPTER SIX

A Very Marvel Christmas

- - - - -

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK
FIVE DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS

"How am I supposed to spot a pickpocket in this crowd?"

Ana rubbed her cold nose, and sunk deeper into her oversized parka. The collar just brushed against her upper lip and her head was concealed by a black beanie. She stood in the middle of town square in New York. It snowed heavily and the air was cold and crisp, accompanied by a sharp wind. Behind her was a large Christmas tree decorated with all the bells and whistles, and the whole city basically surrounded it.

The Warrior took on a small job after overhearing a middle aged woman worry over pickpockets in the town square. Long story short, Ana was hired to steer the pickpocket away from the civilians and take back all the stolen objects. She needed hard cash to buy some necessities.

Ana couldn't use her credit card or access her funds. That would lead the Feds straight to her.

Yes, she was still in hiding. And yes, she despised every second of it. Especially since it was the holidays. Last year she spent it with Steve and Sam, singing old tunes and watching movies.

This year, it was just her.

As lonely as it sounded, it was better that way. She couldn't risk visiting Peter and May. Or even dropping by the Avengers Facility for Tony, Vision and Rhodey. She would call Steve though, she really wanted to hear his voice as well as the others.

At the thought of them, her eyes dropped and she frowned. Ana missed her friends. And Bucky. The people closest to her were so far away.

"Hey!"

Ana looked up when the man to her right yelled, earning everyone's focus to land on him and the runner carrying a red bag over his shoulder. The pickpocket was dressed as Santa — a perfect way to camouflage into his surroundings. She chuckled and broke into a run. This will distract her.

A couple of kids were slack jawed at the sight of a messy looking man as he ripped of the white beard and glasses. Ana purses her lips, passing them when they began to cry. She'd hate to be their parents.

The roads beyond the town square were empty and it gave Ana a clear shot at taking him down. She grabbed a snowball and threw it at his knee. The sloppiest thing happened and Santa slipped on ice, landing on his rear with the bag of stolen possessions being thrown in the air. Ana slid on her knees, arms open as she timed it perfectly to catch the bag.

It landed in her arms and she smirked, sliding by Santa as he moved his head, watching her with a look of guilt and shock. That moment would be perfect for slow motion replay.

"You're on your own naughty list, Sant', and you have some explaining to do." Ana swung the bag over her shoulder and grabbed the culprit by his arm, hauling him to his feet.

"I'm sorry. It's just I don't have any money to get my girl a present. She means the world to me." He mumbled.

"I'm sure if she loved you enough, you wouldn't have to steal from others. That's just wrong." Ana stated.

Fake Santa looked down ashamed when the cops pulled up. Ana became nervous when they ran over to her, wanting to take in the robber. She quickly handed the red bag to a nearby bystander and walked into an alleyway. Away from the police.