6.1

CHAPTER ONE

Rookie Guardian

- - - - -

A familiar orange and teal M-Wing spaceship lowered down onto the grassy fields. At the base of a fallen tree, opposite the landing site, Ana sat with a cloth pressed to the side of her head. She smiled when she saw her saviours exit through the rear end of the ship. Three people, a raccoon, and a plant hollered for her to join them, waving their hands.

Ana was feeling sore, and she groaned when she got to her feet, arching her back forward to relieve her joints. She huffed out a breath before strolling towards them, flashing them a grateful smile. She was safe.

"You really are the Guardians of the Galaxy." Ana chuckled, shaking Peter's outstretched hand with her free one. She went around and greeted them kindly.

They all grinned. "Pleasure to be of service, human." Peter responded with a snicker.

Drax had his focus on the fallen tree, a confused glint in his eyes. Gamora nodded her head. "You look like hell." She said bluntly. "Trouble?"

Ana bobbed her head, removing the cloth to check the bleeding. "I just escaped my first galaxy mess. Two aliens, big ones." She held her hand over her head, representing how tall the aliens she encountered were.

"I am Groot." The little creature spoke up. He sat on Rocket's shoulder, looking at Ana's hair.

Rocket had his arms crossed. "He says you've got leaves in your hair." He said.

Gamora brushed the handful of leaves from Ana's loose ponytail and Drax looked back at Peter. "How fortunate we were close by. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten here in time and she would have be eaten."

Ana's eyes bugged out of their sockets and she held a hand over her beating heart. "Eaten?" She repeated quietly, glancing over her shoulder at the lush forest. She jumped when there was a sudden rumble in the ground. Her eyes darted to the group, waiting for any kind of response. Rocket began chuckling behind his hands as Gamora picked up Groot when he started whining, and held him in her hands. Peter clapped Ana's shoulder twice, sucking in his lips.

"Yeah. We should leave."

THE MILANO

"So, where're we heading?"

Ana leaned her elbows on the back of both pilot seats. Peter was in the one on her left while Rocket sat in the one on her right. She tried to make sense of the tech on the consoles, but it was something else entirely because it was space tech. Ana snorted, obviously, she thought. The only thing she understood were the flight controls Peter handled.

"Well, before you called, we were on our way to handle a thief on a small planet close by." Peter informed her, flying the ship off the ground and into the skies. He looked up at her to see her reaction and he was satisfied when she nodded.

"Alright. Thief. I can help with that." Ana opened her hands suggestively, "I mean, if you don't mind."

Rocket chuckled. "Oh, we don't mind. Just warning ya, these thieves ain't like the ones you got one Earth." He told her, holding back other very important details.

Peter looked up at her then, curious. "We still got amateur criminals at home, yeah?"

Ana frowned. "Well, if you mean amateur as in crazy dudes with alien tech who've got too much time on their hands, then yeah, we still got criminals." She nodded. Peter scrunched his nose up, shaking his head.