6.5

CHAPTER FIVE

Saving The Galaxy

- - - - -

"They keep coming!"

Ana had to continuously cut through the light tentacles that threatened to suffocate her with her sword. The group has splintered off again, and it made them weak that way. Drax had taken an unconscious Mantis to the extraction point at the surface of Ego's planet. Gamora and Nebula had fallen through the cracks Ego caused as he was in the process of creating another human body. That left Yondu, Rocket, Peter and Ana on the platform.

They were all preoccupied by the light tentacles. Ana let her Sword of Light harness the energy they let off, and sent it right back with every swing.

"I told you, I don't want to do this alone!" Ego bellowed as he walked down the rocky canyon. "You cannot deny the purpose the universe has bestowed upon you!"

Countless light tentacles pierced right through Peter's kneeling body. Yondu was down. Rocket too. Ana was still fighting, her sword an efficient weapon against the spikes. Ego was draining the light from his own son and it powered up the core again.

"Stop it!" Ana cried out.

Before he could lay another hand on Peter, Ana's instincts kicked in and she activated the aero-rig. She tackled Ego, her shoulder colliding into his sternum with a harsh crunch. The force of the attack sent them both crashing into the rocky walls. Ana's eyes flashed with rage and she sent a heavy punch to his jaw, knocking his head further into the wall. She let herself forget she was fighting a Celestial, instead focused on the fact that he needed to be destroyed. Eldritch Bands formed in her hands and she wrapped the mystic weapon around his neck and pulled. His hands tried to grab ahold of her and she dodged them, raising her foot and planting it on his chest, and she pushed. With the pulling at his head and the pushing in his chest, Ego found it difficult to get out of Ana's grip.

"Just..." Ana grunted, strengthening her pull, "Die already!"

"You're gonna have to do better to kill me!" He yelled in her face. Ego's light tentacles blasted up from the ground beneath her feet and they wrapped themselves around her torso and legs, yanking her away from Ego. She was flung into another wall, dropping to her knees with a groan. Her hands held her up from the ground and she spat out the blood in her mouth, making it splatter everywhere. She sat back on her heels before raising her head and sending a heated glare towards Ego.

With inhuman speed, Ego was on her, grabbing her throat and squeezing. Ana was losing oxygen. She clawed at Ego's hands as they gripped her throat tighter with a powerful force, strained cries escaping her lips when he pushed her into the rock. The ground crumbled against her back, making her sink into it.

"I didn't expect the daughter of the Sentinel to be this weak." Ego chuckled darkly, mocking her as he tried to take her life. "Some demigod..."

Ana's vision blurred as tears brimmed her eyes. She let one hand drop from his wrists and reached out for her Sword of Light that was metres away under the debris. It shook underneath the rubble and shined brightly. The familiar pull could be felt between her and her blade. And she held onto it.

Ana looked deep into Ego's eyes, curling her lip in disgust at what was looking back at her. "You won't win. People like you never do." She tried to sound in control, and strong, but since he was crushing her windpipe, it came out croaky and quiet, weak.