7.4

CHAPTER FOUR

Homecoming

- - - - -

"You're supposed to be sleeping."

Ana didn't have to turn around to know Tony was standing behind her in his Iron Man armour. She could hear the clicks and whirring of the suit. She stared down at the street below her from her spot on the edge of the rooftop. She couldn't sleep. Something just wouldn't let her and it was driving her crazy.

"I can't." Ana mumbled.

"What's the reason?" He hopped down beside her, placing his hands on his knees.

"Paranoia." She answered simply, peeking at him from the corner of her eye.

"'Cause of the kid?" Tony assumed, popping open his face plate.

"No, not Peter." Ana shook her head. She breathed in deeply, before casting her eyes over her city. The subject of her problem. "New York. Something's going to happen, something bad. And I don't wanna go to bed without knowing what."

Little did she know, many others that lived in the streets of New York felt the same way.

"Ana, whatever it is — and I'm sure it's nothing — the authorities will handle it." Tony sighed, "You made your choice. Stick to it. Live life free of responsibility." He wasn't sure why Ana wanted to get back in when she knew there would be consequences.

"This is my home, Tony. If anything or anyone threatens it and everyone in it, I'll take action whether or not I have jurisdiction. A law can't stop me." Ana told him defiantly, lifting her chin confidently.

"Yeah, I know." Tony mused.

Ana blinked at his lack of conviction. "You're not gonna give me a warning?"

"Nope." Tony replied, "I really can't be bothered with all the paperwork and jail cells piss you off, and everyone knows to stay clear from an angry superhuman. Really though, if anything goes down, call me. I'll put together a team and take care of it." He looked her in the eyes, smirking when he could recognise the familiar rebelliousness in them.

"Fine." She quipped.

"You're not going to call me, are you?" Tony asked after a few beats. She threw him a smirk, shrugging a shoulder.

"No promises, Stark."

They sat in silence for a little while longer. Tony glanced at her quickly, a thought crossing his mind. He had been hanging to ask her about something. And now seemed the perfect time to tell her.

"Have you talked to Steve?"

Ana wasn't sure how to answer. There was a hint of desperation in his gaze and she naturally reached out and placed a hand on his armoured shoulder. "Christmas. We spoke briefly. I know it's dangerous to hold the line, so the conversation was short. But it was enough. Knowing he's safe out there, with the others... it's comforting. Miss 'em like hell though. All of them."

"Yeah, me too."

- - -

"Hey, May. Is Peter in?"