7.5

CHAPTER FIVE

The Cliffhanger

- - - - -

Ana was humming a tune.

She walked around her apartment with the three-seater sofa in her hands and over her head. She wanted to redecorate the place and decided to switch around the furniture. It was something to do to get her mind off the horrible nightmare she just woke up from. It unsettled her. It made her skin crawl and just by thinking about it, it gave her chills. This was a good way to distract herself.

Tony had taken all of his belongings back and set them up in the Avengers Facility upstate after the whole Spider-Man and Vulture thing came to a close. As a result, Adrian Toomes was sent to prison along with the people he was going to seal a deal with on the ferry. Ana knew the rest of his crew was running around in the shadows, she only hoped they would trip and get caught by the authorities.

After setting everything up, she sat at the window sill, one leg dangling from the edge while the other was inside. She looked down at the streets below her and rested her head back against the threshold. The wind was calming her ever so slightly, brushing her hair back. Her eyelids dropped, and she let out a tired sigh.

There, the nagging in the back of her mind, it started up again. She scowled and opened her eyes, shaking her head to try and get rid of the feeling. It was maddening. The feeling of future danger looming around in the air. She could practically smell it. She just wished she could determine when and where trouble popped up.

The world didn't want her to rest. The familiar ringtone told her she had a call and she reached into her pocket. She answered it and placed it against her ear.

"Michaels."

"Ana, May knows!" Came Peter's panicked voice.

"She knows what?"

"That I'm Spider-Man! She saw me in the suit. She's freaking out and yelling and I don't know what to do!"

Ana widened her eyes. "You've got to be kidding me. Pete, I'll be there in five. Just block your ears incase she starts cursing."

"Too late." He sulked before hanging up.

Ana swung her legs back inside and went for the door, jogging hurriedly. Someone started knocking and she raised an eyebrow, wondering who it was. She twisted the doorknob and instantly beamed at the visitor.

"Hey there, stranger!"

"Hello, my old apprentice."

Carol Danvers stood at her doorstep, smiling slyly. Ana wasn't sure what it meant, but let her in nonetheless, despite the danger radar going off. The Air Force pilot was wearing navy blue track pants, white sneakers, and a red tank top. She looked like she just came back from a run. It was weird though, Ana could hear a slow and steady heartbeat. She just waved it off and guided Carol towards the kitchen.

"It's good to see you after so long, Danvers. How's it been?" Ana opened her fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, sliding it towards Carol who was opposite her on the other side of the centre island.

Carol picked up the bottle and eyed Ana. "Well, after you left the base, I did too. Things didn't go so smoothly with my supervisor, and I decided to take a vacation. A lot has happened to you though." She leaned forward, resting her elbows on the tabletop. "Care to share?"