Chapter 11 ~ Determination

Two weeks later,

Aashi waved good bye to her Dad and walked through the gate leading to Rishabh's home. Tomorrow is an important test and like always the two have planned for group studies.

Aashi greeted the Khuranas happily and climbed upstairs. She checked if she has gotten all the study material required for the preps. She stopped when she heard Rishabh speaking to someone on phone. She didn't mean to eavesdrop but the way he was talking in whispers she doubted he is talking to one of their friends.

'I know, Laila.' Aashi froze, her palm resting on the door.

Laila? He is talking to her. They have exchanged numbers. When? Aashi is baffled and for some reason also hurt.

She took a deep breath and pushed the door open. Rishabh looked at her wide-eyed.

'Aashi.' He quickly cut the call. Aashi noticed his expression change from a confused one to a frightened one to a happy one.

'Come.' He said walking towards the door. As she sat beside his chair at the study table, Rishabh closed the door. Aashi pretended like she didn't hear him and he too relaxed. Though they were fully focused on the subject, Aashi's mind was wandering. What was he talking to her about? And how come they exchanged numbers and she doesn't know? No one has Laila's number, not even she then why Rishabh? Why only Rishabh?

**********************************

Next day after the exams, Aashi made way towards Art's department. She looked around and quickly spotted Jeet. He stood there talking to his friends, he had the question paper in his hand. Aashi felt slightly nervous as she walked towards him. She isn't very good at striking with strangers, except of course Suchitra and Kajal, she knew something about them.

Jeet looked away from his friends and at her when she cleared her throat.

'Jeet Arora?' Aashi asked she tried her best to not make her nervousness look evident.

He nodded. 'Yes.'

Aashi then asked if they could talk for a second, he nodded again, - 'Sure.'

They walked up to a corner away from his friends. As they stood Jeet looked on calmly. Aashi felt nervous, how to start the conversation? Suddenly, it felt awkward.

'Jeet...I wanted to ask you something about Laila?' she noticed the color drain from his face.

He frowned and replied darkly, - 'What about her? I don't want to talk about her.'

He was about to go when Aashi interrupted him, - 'Listen, it is important. I know there is something wrong with that girl...I just...she is...trying to.... you know... trying to trap my friend, Rishabh. I want him to stay away from her...she is trouble and you know better....so please, help me here.' Aashi said, her voice pleaded him.

Jeet's expression softened.

'Laila and I, we started dating since the tenth std. Initially, everything was fine and then coming to College things went downhill. She always had huge expectations from me, to excel in studies, to be the College team captain, to be perfect. So that she could flaunt me in front of the class. Laila never had a friend, it is because of her nature. And when something doesn't go her way, she plays the victim card to gain sympathy and attention. She was very keen for me to get into college football team and when I didn't qualify she just broke up with me and gave no reason.' Jeet finished with an exasperated sigh. He shook his head.

Aashi frowned as she processed everything Jeet said and then something struck her about Laila.

'I think she wants to be with Rishabh because he is College football captain, also good in studies.' Jeet echoed her thoughts. Aashi looked at Jeet and nodded. Aashi recollected Laila wasn't even interested in Rishabh until he got selected in the football team.