Chapter 36~ Accident

Aashi's tears were uncontrollable, they fell on their own accord as she hurriedly kept pace with the moving stretcher. She kept looking at the injured Rishabh, he was unconscious and bleeding profusely. She kept cursing herself inwardly. She cursed the car she brought. She cursed everyone. Her heart raced fanatically as they wheeled him inside the OT. She fell back resting her back against the wall, tears falling down her eyes non-stop.

Suchitra held her shoulder with her palm and squeezed it gently, - 'I have spoken to police, paid some bucks and put it under covers.' She said softly.

Aashi shook her head and held her forehead with her palm, a small sob escaped her mouth. She kept shaking her head.

'What have I done? I am a horrible person.' She cried, she covered her mouth with her palms and blinked her tears, her vision getting blurred with tears.

Suchitra wrapped her arm around Aashi's shoulder and pulled her closer, she caressed her arm.

'Everything will be alright, he will be fine.'

Aashi cried more resting her head on Suchitra's head, Suchitra held her friend's shaking figure tightly consoling her with her words.

*****************************

The next one hour was excruciatingly long for Aashi and Suchitra. Finally, the door to the OT opened and the doctor treating Rishabh stepped out. Both the girls rushed to him, he stuck out his palm gesturing them to relax. Aashi couldn't relax even if she wanted to, her breath was stuck in her throat.

'There is a lot of blood loss, we are giving him blood. He should recover. The car wasn't speedy much, there isn't any grave injury. His left-arm fractured, some bruises on the body and face.' Doctor said

'When can we take him home?' Aashi asked

'We have to keep him under observation for twenty-four hours and then we can tell.' Doctor said. Aashi nodded and the asked, - 'Can we see him?'

The doctor shook his head, - 'After 24hours.' He said and then left. Suchitra held Aashi's shoulder and shook her little.

'Come, sit.' She guided Aashi towards a bench, she made her sit and hurried to get a glass of water. Aashi refused but eventually gave up and drank. Suchitra is relieved.

**********************************

Aashi walked with the stretcher as Rishabh was being wheeled into the ICU. Suchitra walked behind them. Aashi wanted to hold him as he was taken to the ward. His unconscious and bruised face stabbed her heart and she felt very guilty. Aashi was so happy in the morning and then everything took such a drastic unfortunate turn, and her life turned upside down.

After Rishabh was taken in, the girls stayed there few more hours before Suchitra insisted they leave home, they have office as well. Aashi kept refusing and Suchitra sighed giving up. She left while Aashi stayed back.

After a while, Aashi stood up and slowly walked towards the ward. She placed her palm on the door and peeped through the round window. Fresh tears brimmed her eyes as she looked at her friend laying lifelessly. She kept looking at him for some time before walking back to the bench. She sat on the bench leaning in the chair, she rested her head against the wall and sighed clasping her palms tightly. Her eyelids felt heavy and before she knew it she fell asleep.

*************************

'Aashi, Aashi-' Aashi felt a warm palm on her shoulder and a compassionate voice waking her up. She blinked and looked up. Himanshu's concerned face came to focus. She felt her eyes heavy, she sat up straight as Himanshu sat beside her. Aashi was dazed, she glanced at her watch and realized it is morning, 9 am.