Chapter 39~ Why?

Aashi felt nervous as she climbed out from the elevator. The locality where Rishabh lives appears to be very shady. The people, the ambience made her feel little uncomfortable. She walked through the narrow dimly lit corridor towards his apartment, 311. She unlocked it and entered.

The Rishabh she knew, was terribly messy, his mother had to be the one cleaning his mess, but what Aashi saw her surprised her. The new Rishabh was very tidy. Everything kept in their own places, properly. There were less furniture and showpiece making the 1BHK flat appear bigger. Aashi noticed though there aren't many showpieces, there are few photo frames stuck on the wall. Photos of his family, his parents. But few photos brought tears to her eyes. They were their photos, as teens, as school kids. Aashi smiled through her tears as she caressed one of the photos. This one was her favorite. It was from their trip to Amritsar when they were in 9th std. Rishabh has worn a brown jacket, white Tee and has his arm around a young Aashi dressed in a floral top. Their hair blowing in the wind, their eyes on the camera and a bright smile on their lips.

Aashi looked closely and noticed a glint in Rishabh's eyes and her own eyes twinkling. She missed those days. She walked into the bedroom and found a single bed with a thin mattress and a duvet. On the table, are few books, files, and a photo frame. Aashi is stunned to see her solo photo. He keeps her photo beside his bed, so he could see it first in the morning and last thing in the night. It is a photo of her that was clicked on the first day of College. Memories flooded Aashi's mind and she felt emotional. She was very happy that Rishabh missed her and thought of her just like how she missed and thought about him. But she is also angry. If he missed her so much why didn't he come back? If he had tried he could have contacted her. But no, he chose to be lonely and miserable.

'You deserved it.' Aashi said bitterly.

She took out a black suitcase from under the bed. She opened the cupboard and stuffed everything into the suitcase including the photo frame. On her way out, she also packed a photo of Rishabh and his family as well. As she looked at the photo she wondered how Mr and Mrs. Khurana were doing.

********************************

'Got everything?' Suchitra asked as Aashi stepped in dragging behind her the wheeled bag. Aashi nodded.

'Hey, is everything alright.' She asked concerned, perhaps she noticed Aashi's swollen eyes.

'Yes.' Aashi nodded. As she walked towards the room, she was greeted by Himanshu. It is then she noticed two empty coffee mugs on the coffee table in front of the double sofa.

'Need help? I will-'

'Thanks, Himanshu. You be here, I will come.' She said softly. Himanshu nodded not protesting further.

Aashi dragged the luggage towards the room and knocked the door. To her surprise, Rishabh opened the door with his free hand. He smiled at her while she frowned.

'What are you doing out of bed?' She asked sternly.

Rishabh looked little scared, he simply said with an apologetic face, - 'I was getting bored, so I thought I will walk.'

Aashi sighed and entered. Rishabh limped inside as well.

'Sit.' She pointed towards the bed and Rishabh did as he was told, obediently. Aashi then dragged the luggage towards the cupboard, Rishabh watched her.

'I have booked a physiotherapist for you, Miss. Jenny. She will be coming tomorrow for your exercise and that is all you be doing.' Aashi said placing his clothes inside the cupboard.

'Okay.' Rishabh replied like an obedient kid. Aashi turned and looked at him before turning back and stuffing his clothes inside.

'Thanks, Aashi.' Rishabh said. Aashi doesn't reply, she closed the cupboard and walked towards him carrying the two photo frames. She passed the photo frames to him and watched the color drain from Rishabh's face as he saw her photo.

'What is this Rishabh?' She asked sternly.

'A photo.' Rishabh tried being funny but somehow he didn't sound humorous, moreover, he avoided her eyes. Aashi rolled her eyes.

'Why didn't you come back to me, Rishabh. Clearly, you were missing me. Then why? Don't you consider me as your friend anymore?' Fresh tears pooled her eyes as she looked down at him. Rishabh doesn't reply, he keeps staring at her photo.

'Rishabh.' - Aashi held his shoulder, - 'I am talking to you? Say?' She asked, this time softly. There was no response for a while and then Aashi saw a tear drop fall on the photo frame. Aashi's heart sank as she realized he was crying.

'Rishabh.' Aashi said softly as she fell to her knees in front of him. He still doesn't look up.

'I am talking to you, answer me.' She said holding his chin and making him look at her. 

******************************

Rishabh *heartbreaks* 

I wonder what he is going to answer *hmmm* What you guys think?

How was the Chapter, my lovelies? Drop in your comments, please