16

The internship was over too quickly for your liking. You had never had so much fun in your entire life - watching All Might work, patrolling with him, fighting alongside him... The two of you realised that you made a great team. Somehow, you understood the other's intentions with perfection. When fighting a villain, you'd switch with All Might in ways that allowed him to get clear, precise hits, and it was too unpredictable for the villain to do anything about it. Your quirk endurance had increased a lot, because your body was injured so your quirk was the only thing you could work on most of the time. The last two days, you were out of all your bandages and All Might taught you a lot of useful fighting moves. Other than that, nothing meaningful happened - the Stain situation would be difficult to suppress. 

At the station, you said goodbye to All Might with a heavy heart. You were sad to see him go - you really enjoyed the time you spent with him. You barely kept your smile as you turned away from him and began your walk home. It took all your self-control not to turn around, grab hold of him and never let go. 

Your heart only hurt more the further you walked from the station. You clenched your fist and forced yourself to smile again. At one point during the train ride, where you let your real feelings take over and made a really sad face whilst staring out the window, he told you this: "Smile, Y/N! Even you don't feel happy at the moment, you should smile! It will make you feel better and stronger! Those who keep smiling through bad times are the strongest, after all!" 

You took those words to heart. You always tried to smile, because you noticed that people seemed to be more relaxed and happy around you when you were smiling. It worked especially well with Deku and Kacchan - Deku instantly became less nervous, and Bakugou's anger seemed to lessen when you were there. And seeing your effect on others always managed to cheer you up, at least a little bit.

You approached the door of your house and saw that your uncle's car was gone. He wasn't home. The thought of entering an empty house after a week of never being alone sent another pang of sadness through your heart, but you smiled again and rummaged around your bag, searching for your key. You unlocked the door and walked in, almost sneezing from all the dust that had gathered around the place. 

The house was relatively clean - you tried to keep it as clean as possible, and contain all the mess to your own, which looked like a hurricane hit it almost one hundred percent of the time. You let your bag drop to the floor and made your way towards the kitchen. The only thing that could cheer you up at that moment was ice cream and movies.

There was a note on the fridge, a pink sticky note with your uncle's writing on it, with the date signed as five days ago.

Y/N, I'll be away from home for a while, the situation at work is hectic! There's more money on the counter. I'm sorry for not being there! I hope you had fun with All Might, I can't wait to hear all about it! 

-Uncle

You frowned at the note and decided to keep it on the fridge. You just wish he was more specific, so you'd know when to expect him - but he could return anywhere from that very evening to after one week. The longest he had been gone was two weeks, and you were only thirteen, so you spent half of that time at either Izuku's or Katsuki's place. But you felt that you were too old to seek shelter with them. You were going to be a hero, you had to be self-reliant. You were mostly used to it, but now, you just felt incredibly lonely.

Having taken some ice cream from the freezer, you plopped down onto the couch and switched through the channels. You put on some random action move and whipped out your phone to text your group chat with Midoriya and Bakugou.

you: anything special happened on your internships?

angry hedgehog: i didn't do fucking anything it was shit. heard u idiots fought a fucking hero killer, the idiot fucking deku almost got you all killed. good job tho y/n. how was allmight?