iv. understanding loss

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \ | / 。 ★
T O   B E T R U S T E D
( chapter four )
★ 。 / | \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter four )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| Lyla was wiping down the counter at the diner, her thoughts consumed by Paul - something that had been happening a lot for the past week, his absence from school only making it worse - and it infuriated her to no end. She shook her head, ridding herself of her thoughts, focusing on her work.

"Lyla!" Cora's voice met the girls ears.

"Huh?" Lyla looked up in surprise.

"Table four's order is ready." Cora told her.

Lyla immediately carried the plates and delivered them to the table, before going back to where Cora waited behind the counter.

"What's with you today?" Cora asked with a laugh. " I called your name five times before you even heard me."

"Nothing, sorry, I guess i'm just a bit distracted." Lyla brushed off.

"What's on your mind? A guy?" Cora's tone was teasing, but Lyla's expression as she looked at her hands gave her away. "So it is a guy? You don't know how long i've been waiting for this day!"

The woman beamed at her, her hands clapping together at the thought that Lyla, someone who refused to like any guy because of her unwavering belief that she couldn't trust anyone, was distracted with thoughts about a boy.

"Calm down, Cora, it's not like that." Lyla denied, though not without amusement at Cora's enthusiasm.

"Mmhm." Cora sassed with a knowing look.

Lyla was saved by the conversation when Charlie Swan walked into the diner. His face was tired and serious as he approached the counter with a smile that seemed to take too much effort. Of course, Cora and Lyla had heard about Bella: how she got lost in the woods and was practically hyperthermic when she was finally found. And catatonic apparently.

"Hey, Chief." Cora said with a soft smile for her regular customers.

"Hi." He said in his gruff voice. "Do you mind if I get something to take away? Bella normally cooks but she's... not really feeling up for it." He said.

"Of course, your usual?" Cora asked kindly.

"And a burger for Bella, please." Charlie added as he nodded.

Cora nodded back and disappeared into the kitchen.

"How is Bella?" Lyla asked, she'd met the girl a few times when Charlie brought her into the diner and they got along well, neither being particularly girly-girls.