xix. interruptions

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★
T O B E   T R U S T E D
( chapter eighteen)
★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter eighteen)★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| Cora was delighted the next time she saw Lyla. The girl hadn't had a shift since her mother had turned up, which the woman completely understood, but Lyla loved her job and Cora, and the last thing she wanted was to avoid it because of Elizabeth. She'd lost enough because of that woman.

"Oh my God, you're back!" Cora squealed when her eyes caught sight of Lyla.

"Yeah." Lyla laughed.

"Wow, I haven't seen that smile in a while." Cora told her. "I'm guessing you and Paul made up?" The woman smirked.

"Am I that easy to read?" Lyla asked, not denying anything.

"To me, yes." Cora immediately answered. "I've missed that smile."

She hugged her tightly before getting back to work, Lyla following in suit, happily.

"So, tell me everything, what happened between you and the guy?" Cora waited for details.

"We just talked some things out." Lyla encloses vaguely. "We've been hanging out a lot. With Jared and his girlfriend and a few other friends, too."

"That's great." Cora cheered. "What about Jess?"

Lyla's smile fell at that, eyes downcast at her hands. "She's still not very happy with me, especially now I'm hanging around Jared again, while he still won't speak to her... But that's his choice and he has a good reason, I'm not gonna get into the middle of that."

"Well, I'm happy for you. And I'm sure you and Jess will work things out eventually." Cora assured her confidently.

The rest of her shift went quickly, her and Cora chatting away together and with customers, it was almost like it used to be, before the beginning of the new school year. Paul coming to pick her up was a welcome change from then, though.

"How was work?" He asked after she'd hopped in his truck.

"Brilliant." She beamed up at him.

"Who are you, little miss ray of sunshine, and what have you done with the moody, sarcastic Lyla Woodsen I know?" Paul demanded with mock seriousness.

"Ha, ha." She fake laughed. "You are just so funny, Lahote. Are you really complaining about me being in a good mood?"

"Definitely not if it means you'll insult me less." He laughed.