xxix. danger danger

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \ | / 。 ★
T O   B E T R U S T E D
( chapter twenty nine )
★ 。 / | \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter twenty nine )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| Lyla couldn't help but think it was cruelly ironic that Jess, who was so desperate for answers, had stumbled straight into them, but it could cost her her life. The Cameron girl had no clue what was about to go down, and how she could so easily get caught in the crossfire.

"Jess!" Lyla screamed, for what felt like the hundredth time, her voice soon turning raw - she'd decided shouting out for Jess was worth the risk of being heard by the vampires, she'd never find the girl if she just used her eyes, the forest was too vast and they had too little time.

She was surprised none of the pack or the Cullen's had heard her. She knew they must be somewhere around here since Emily told her the boys had left. Lyla just hoped it was her friends who'd hear her yells and not a bloodthirsty newborn.

"Jess!" She screamed again, getting more desperate as time went on, trudging through the woods as gracefully as she could with the slippery terrain.

"Lyla?" A confused voice answered her.

"Jess, thank God." Lyla sighed, rushing towards her ex best friend's voice.

Finally she caught sight of the shorter brunette and running forward, she collided with the girl, pulling her into a hug.

"What's going on?" Jess asked, her voice tight, confused by Lyla's actions since they'd been in a... misunderstanding for so long.

"Um, uh..." Lyla tried to compose herself, knowing how odd she looked to someone who didn't understand the treat they were facing. "There was an accident, Kim collapsed at Emily's. Brian, your dad and George have gone to help, I just stayed to find you."

"Oh, is she okay?" Jess asked, though the concern sounded only slightly genuine - understandable since Kim was her brother's girlfriend, aka one of the people he'd ditched Jess for.

"I don't know, so we should go and see." Lyla decided, grabbing Jess's hand and dragging her with her through the woods, back the way she came.

Jess caught sight of the way Lyla's eyes scanned their surroundings, how her head spun around at any sound and how tight her grip on Jess's hand was.

"Okay, what the hell is wrong with you?" Jess demanded, using the hand Lyla had a hold of to pull them to a stop before she snatched it away from the girl.

"Jess, I told you, Kim's hurt, we need to go." Lyla lies again, though she didn't stop her frantic glances around.

"No, you're acting weird, there's something you aren't telling me." Jess deducted, her eyes narrowed. "I know when you're lying, Lyla."