xiv. the return

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \ | / 。 ★
T O   B E T R U S T E D
( chapter fourteen )
★ 。 / | \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter fourteen )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| Lyla's mind seemed to be torturing her, showing her Harry's death on replay. When she wasn't reliving that tragic moment, she'd be being haunted by the woman with red hair and pale skin, and the wolf that was taller than a horse and, no doubt, deadlier than a bear. What little time her brain had left to think of something else, it chose the topic of Lyla's idiotic decisions that lead to her losing everyone she had left. Of course, she had Brian, but in his grief he had shut himself in his office, only emerging to join Charlie for a drink or to check on Sue.

Lyla hadn't gone back to school on the Monday, choosing instead to stay in bed, though she still failed to get a wink of sleep. She went to the diner, her shift starting at 4; her plan of staying away from people being overthrown by her boredom and desire to occupy her mind.

"Hey, missy." Cora greeted sadly, she'd heard the news, everyone on the reservation had.

"Hey, Cora." Lyla attempted a smile.

"You really can't catch a break, can you?" Cora sighed, bringing the pale and tired looking girl into a hug. "You don't look very well."

"Yeah, I haven't been able to sleep since..." Lyla trailed off, not wanting to say the words 'Harry died' out loud.

"You should be at home." Cora said.

"I've been at home all day, but I need something to do, otherwise I just keep replaying it in my head and it's driving me crazy." Lyla grumbled, picking up a tray of food fresh from the kitchen and serving it up.

Lyla picked up extra shifts at the diner instead of going to school for the rest of the week, not ready to face the gossiping teens in her class yet. Cora was clearly worried that the girl was running herself ragged, constantly trying to convince Lyla to go home and get some rest, but Lyla refused every time.

"Hey, how're you doing today?" Cora asked.

"I'm okay, Cora. You don't have to worry."

"Easier said than done." Cora sighed as she watched Lyla.

She noticed how the teen's usually graceful movements lacked their usual conviction, how her eyes had become dull and dazed, and how her dazzling smile never danced on her lips no matter how hard Cora tried.