xxvii. love

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \ | / 。 ★
T O   B E T R U S T E D
( chapter twenty seven )
★ 。 / | \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter twenty seven )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| The days following were a struggle for Lyla, to say the least. She didn't see Paul, only got to use one of the pack members' phones to call him a couple of times, since most of the time she didn't see them either. They weren't in school much, the battle was approaching, each of them were scared and on edge and training nonstop. The only one Lyla did see on a semi-regular basis was Bella. The girls had become close again, though there was always a layer of fear of what was to come blanketing them. Things were tense, everyone could sense it, even the oblivious people around them could feel the danger hovering in the air.

"Hey." Bella greeted as she walked into the diner, Lyla had been taking lots of extra shifts to keep herself busy.

"Oh, hey." Lyla greeted happily, wiping her hands on her apron.

"Hi, Bella, it's nice to see you here again." Cora interrupted with a sweet smile.

She cast a worried look at Lyla, something she'd done a lot lately, recognising the girl's distracted and low mood lately.

"Yeah, nice to see you too." Bella awkwardly returned.

"I'll just go get my stuff." Lyla told Bella, running into the back room.

Bella stood waiting as Cora's eyes scanned her.

"You don't happen to know what's up with Lyla lately, do you?" Cora asked.

"Um, just boy troubles." Bella answered simply, not knowing how Lyla would want her to respond. "You should ask her about it, I don't really know the details."

"Oh, trust me, I have. She won't talk to me anymore." Cora shrugged sadly.

It was true, Cora has tried to pry out of Lyla the reasons for the sudden disappearance of the smiles that had been handed out left and right for months, but the girl would never divulge the sudden downward spiral the rollercoaster of her life had suddenly taken her on. After all, how does one explain the threat of the beings that loomed in the darkness around them, without sounding like a complete mental case? And the idea of explaining the sudden loss of Paul's presence scared Lyla, she was too worried others would share her uncle's views, too narrow minded to believe her vague explanations of the truth.

"Okay, ready?" Lyla said as she returned, paying no mind to Bella and Cora's dying conversation.

Without anything more than a wave at Cora, the two teenage girls left, heading back to Lyla's - the only place they could hang out due to Lyla being grounded.