xi. bad friend

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★
T O B E   T R U S T E D
( chapter eleven)
★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter eleven)★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| Lyla's mood remained foul for days after her fights with both Bella and Paul. Bella had tried calling a few times, but Lyla never answered, after all, she had nothing to say to the Swan girl. If she was honest, she felt betrayed, her and Bella had bonded over being the ones left behind, but to Lyla it seemed that now Bella was leaving her behind too, leaving her in the dark. The situation with Paul was just as, if not more, complicated. They weren't necessarily in a fight, but something had changed between them: there had always been the tension of his secret hanging above their heads, but that night it had reached its breaking point. They still worked on the car and they still laughed and talked easily, but it was like there was a wall, stopping their relationship from developing any further, and though Lyla knew that that was probably a good thing, she couldn't help but feel disappointed.

"Hey, stranger." Jess greeted Lyla at lunch, then not having seen each other before because of Lyla bunking her morning lessons - the only ones she had with Jess.

"Hey." Lyla returned with a small smile before going back to her thoughts.

But her thoughts didn't get very far, being interrupted by an annoyed sigh coming from Jess. "Okay, what is your deal?

"What?" Lyla asked, oblivious to the issue.

Quil looked down at his lunch, looking as if he wanted to disappear completely.

"We barely see you anymore! You come to school, say barely one sentence to us, go home and only call if you need a lift, and even then it's only once in a blue moon. I mean, what could you possibly be doing that's more important than your friends, especially when abandonment seems to be going around lately." Jess snapped harshly.

Lyla was taken aback, her sweet friend Jess seemed to have completely transformed since Jared left them in the dust, she'd never been confrontational, always one to choose softly spoken words over conflict. But perhaps Lyla had changed too, she just failed to take notice.

"Work." Lyla blurted. "I work at the diner as much as I can, and then I go home and I cook with my uncle, and then I try and fix my car." Lyla replied sharply, not lying, but not exactly telling the whole truth.

Jess just blinked at her, seemingly having lost her nerve against her sharp-tongued best friend.

"You seriously wanna preach to me about being abandoned? Let me remind you, there's a reason I live with my uncle." Lyla seethed, a dark tone lacing her voice, and a glare that would chill anyone to the bone.